Thread: QPrinter constructor ignores QPrinterInfo parameter

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default QPrinter constructor ignores QPrinterInfo parameter

Hi

I try to construct a QPrinter object that is not the default printer. Thus, I first get the correct QPrinterInfo object and pass it as parameter to the constructor of QPrinter. But QPrinter still ends up with the system-wide default printer. Example code fragment:
    Qt Code:
    1. printerInfo = QPrinterInfo::printerInfo(QStringLiteral("Farbdrucker"));
    2. qDebug() << "printer selected in printerInfo:" << (printerInfo.isNull() ? tr("not set") : tr("%1 (%2)").arg(printerInfo.printerName()).arg(printerInfo.description()));
    3. QPrinter* printer = new QPrinter(printerInfo /*, QPrinter::HighResolution*/);
    4. qDebug() << "selected printer" << printer->printerName();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    The output of the two qDebug() ... statements is as follows (unchanged, whether I include the second parameter to QPrinter or not)
    Qt Code:
    1. printer selected in printerInfo: "Farbdrucker (Brother HL-4150CDN)"
    2. selected printer "TLP2742"
    My conclusions: the QPrinterInfo object is constructed and valid (I have named the printer 'Farbdrucker', German for color printer); QPrinterInfo finds the correct description (make and model of my color printer). But the QPrinter object nevertheless uses the default printer (TLP2742).

Where is the issue with my code / thinking?

Versions / OS:
    - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    - Qt 5.4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QPrinter constructor ignores QPrinterInfo parameter

I cannot see an obvious problem code-wise. Is the colour printer online? Is it available to the user running the code? QPrinter reports the default printer name but which printer does it actually print to?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Re: QPrinter constructor ignores QPrinterInfo parameter

@ChrisW67
    Thanks for your hints, how to approach the problem. My extended code snipet now looks as follows:
    Qt Code:
    1. printerInfo = QPrinterInfo::printerInfo(QStringLiteral("Farbdrucker"));
    2. qDebug() << "printer selected in printerInfo:" << (printerInfo.isNull() ? tr("not set") : tr("%1 (%2)").arg(printerInfo.printerName()).arg(printerInfo.description()));
    3. QPrinter* printer = new QPrinter(printerInfo /*, QPrinter::HighResolution*/);
    4. qDebug() << "selected printer" << printer->printerName();
    5. QPainter testPainter;
    6. testPainter.begin(printer);
    7. printer->newPage();
    8. testPainter.end();
    • The color printer is connected and other applications are able to print to it.
    • It attempts to print to the system-wide default printer TLP2742.

When I select a different printer as system wide default, e.g., print-to-pdf, then the code snipet works properly! Thus, it seems that the issue is specifically with the printer TLP2742 (an offline printer, i.e., it should print to a file). I will further look into this and report back. (I still consider it unexpected behavior / bug that a potentially misconfigured printer TLP2742 messes up the printer selection in a Qt program that deliberately avoids to print to the TLP2742).

[EDIT]
    I can now confirm that the issue is related to the driver for the default printer that is incomplete or broken. Still not good, of course: this means that an end-user error outside of my control has the potential to break some functionality of my Qt application.
    Last edited by Al_; 27th December 2014 at 15:47.