Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to work with files

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to work with files

i have some suggestions for my code. But After making the view of files in treeview or something else I do not know how or in what to write the information about file (Qfileinfo->name, Qfileinfo->size...) --In Qlist or in simple C++ structure? The next is how to transfer the such property as size or path to XML entity (and what entity it should be)--The structure (DOM)I see FILE SYSTEM--FILE--1) NAme 2) SIZe ...I written the Qlist to File then Open and written in XML--with what way or function correctly transfer the size field of Qlist to size property of XML File (as item of file system)? And for example I have Button Index that travers all files of File system in tree or list view. Can I simply transfer the code for such Window to see the index in such way as Number--Name--Size--Path?

Added after 6 minutes:

And about one thought: how vegin the traverse of files from first to last one. With while loop? For example I want to make the list of files (qlist). How to start the cycle in a code and and from what?
    Last edited by artt; 26th March 2015 at 01:00.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by artt View Post
    So what structures I should use for indexing? As I have read the Qt has a 400 classes and tenfold of function of it.
    There is no QFileIndexForMyEmploymentTestTask class in Qt. Use your favourite web search engine to search for data structures to be used for storing indexes (e.g. in databases). Then when you have read about those structures, choose the one that best fits your purpose.

But After making the view of files in treeview or something else I do not know how or in what to write the information about file (Qfileinfo->name, Qfileinfo->size...) --In Qlist or in simple C++ structure?
    Don't you think you should start with actually gathering information about the files?

And about one thought: how vegin the traverse of files from first to last one. With while loop? For example I want to make the list of files (qlist). How to start the cycle in a code and and from what?
    QDirIterator could be a good place to start.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

If to use the DB it should be really difficult task. The problem is that I use Qt4 in CodeBlocks and the code emits such errors as Qdir or Qfileinfo is missing as librrary in include statements --so i do not understand is it deficiemncy of qt 4.8. libbrary or it is so bad linkage of Qt with Code Blocks as it frequently even make error on "Include <Qapplication>". The next issue is msvcp100.dll when launching Qcreator. I copied it to Bin and System32 folder but I couldnot register as it is connected with other dll in set. I could not see the dll properties in Total Commander as it in F3 command show the files such as .dat, .com but not dll.
    But what is the starting file for iterator?
    And I think that there should be some apps on the net that should be the pattern for me?
    Last edited by artt; 26th March 2015 at 15:34.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

You know artt, you aren't listening to anything that anyone is telling you here. I gave you a list of Qt classes that will give you a hierarchical list of the files and directories starting at any point in the file system. I suggested some XML elements and attributes you might use to turn that hierarchy into an XML representation, and gave you Qt classes that would do that. Others have done the same.

The Qt Widgets examples (that I and others also referred you to) contain source code that will show you how to get the list of files in a directory, how to display those in a tree on screen, and how to extract information from the file system model. Other examples will show you how to make XML-based documents and files. If you choose to use a DBMS, there are examples and tutorials for that too.

Stop wasting your time and ours with questions, and start reading the documentation and exploring the examples and tutorials in your Qt installation. If you are getting errors in your use of CodeBlocks, then don't use it. Use Qt Creator instead. When you install the Qt full distribution, it will install Qt Creator and figure out where you have Qt installed so that the right headers and libraries are pulled into your build.

Once you have Qt Creator configured to point to your Qt install, open one of the example projects and simply build it. See what it does, look at the source code and learn how it does it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If to use the DB it should be really difficult task.
    I didn't tell you to use a database. Read my post again.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

msvcp100.dll is a part of Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable package. Get it from Microsoft page and install.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I have this .dll but it is connected with other dll-s, and I do not know with which ones?
    It is not very efficient to download the whole package.
    I have read one tip about not workable Qdir -- "g++ seems not find the Qt include files" --taht should be so. Cause when I
    installed the whole Qt it showed that g++ is found at C:\MinGw, despite the mingw folder was in C:\CodeBlocks\...MinGW, that I noted during the instllation. So really I need to check this one and its workability, as I creted all programs in CodeBlocks even OpenGl. Moreover the Qcreator is not working.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Clearly you have a bastardized/broken installation of Qt and Qt Creator. I would recommend you start from scratch and download a copy of Qt from here:

https://www.qt.io/download/

You should at least verify a working Qt library / Qt Creator setup before you continue to try to use Code::Blocks. i.e. If you can't get Qt Creator to work with a fresh install, then you're wasting your time trying to get Code::Blocks working with the same broken install.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Here is code: from the html-help:
    #include <QDir>
    #include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QCoreApplication app(argc, argv);
    QDir dir;
    dir.setFilter(QDir::Files | QDir::Hidden | QDir::NoSymLinks);
    dir.setSorting(QDir::Size | QDir::Reversed);

QFileInfoList list = dir.entryInfoList();
    std::cout << "Bytes Filename" << std::endl;
    for (int i = 0; i < list.size(); ++i) {
    QFileInfo fileInfo = list.at(i);
    std::cout << qPrintable(QString("%1 %2").arg(fileInfo.size(), 10)
    .arg(fileInfo.fileName()));
    std::cout << std::endl;
    }
    return 0;
    }
    ///To begin with processing the disk it should be
    added such piece of code at the beginning.
    foreach (QFileInfo drive, QDir::drives ()) {qDebug()}<<"Drive: " << drive.absolutePath();
    QDir dir = drive.dir();
    dir.setFilter (QDir:irs);
    //But to roll up the directory to conating files I need to include something like that: if (fileino==isDirectory) and for loop.
    And I do not understand what means the "args(fileinfo..)".
    But it is the way to display such list, but what about to write it to some structure like that
    struct { int num; char* name; double size; char* ablolutepath}.
    And I would like to place combo-box in UI to choose the disk -- but if it is not appropriate can aforementioned code sort the files by name in one list from all disk?

Added after 9 minutes:

"Clearly you have a bastardized/broken installation of Qt and Qt Creator" -- I used the installation from arhive of official site. Qt4-because my codeblock just have Qt4 pane. I really think that the problem is in the linkage of compiler (g++). But it is really funny that during install it found MinGw in absent folder on the very C disk, despite the folder was at C:\CodeBlocks\MinGw.
    Last edited by artt; 26th March 2015 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

You need to add QDir::Dirs or QDir::AllDirs if you want dir.entryInfoList() to return directories as well as files.

Did you look at the documentation for QString to see what the QString::arg() method does?

Your example code seems very confusing to me. QDir::entryInfoList is used to return a QFileInfoList, which is a list containing a QFileInfo for every file and/or directory matched by the filters you set. A basic example of what I *think* you are trying to accomplish is:

Qt Code:
    1. void process_dir(QString path)
    2. {
    3. QDir dir(path);
    5. if (!dir.exists())
    6. {
    7. qDebug("Directory does not exist: %s", qPrintable(path));
    8. return;
    9. }
    11. dir.setFilter(QDir::Files | QDir::Hidden | QDir::NoSymLinks | QDir::AllDirs);
    12. dir.setNameFilers({"*.*"});
    13. dir.setSorting(QDir::Size | QDir::Reversed);
    14. QFileInfoList list = dir.entryInfoList();
    16. for (int i = 0; i < list.count(); i++)
    17. {
    18. QFileInfo fi = list.at(i);
    19. if (fi.isDir())
    20. {
    21. process_dir(fi.absolutePath()); // if this QFileInfo is a directory, descend into the directory recursively to traverse all files/directories
    22. }
    23. else if (fi.isFile())
    24. {
    25. // if you get here, the QFileInfo is for a regular file, so do whatever processing you need to do for a file
    26. }
    27. }
    29. return;
    30. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    When you first call the process_dir method above, pass it the root of the file system you want to process (i.e. "C:/" or whatever).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jefftee; 26th March 2015 at 20:54.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

What do means the function arg () -- I can not find in internet --some (string) formatter?
    Can the passing root folder to lead to showing the whole file system? (maybe pass something upper then disks or "all directories"). What about my code -- it is from the help of qt installation. But really without workable Qcreator and codeblock it is difficult to teach something (maybe the latest Codeblock with Qt5 would be helpful).
    Moreover here also such stipulation -- the interface should be no-locking so I understand that I need to use the threads here?
    What about your code I hope it help -- but could you reformat this code to write in this loop this qfileinfo in structure {} INDEXER of kind I refered above -- that would be part of some Qlist (QVector)<INDEXER> fi; fi.append (Qfileinfo.name, Qfileinfo.size...). Then to write to the file and translate Qlist items into XML?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

What do means the function arg () -- I can not find in internet --some (string) formatter?
    Did you click on the link in my prior post? It links directly to the QString:arg() documentation. Why you would waste your time searching for arg WITHIN THE ENTIRE INTERNET when I gave you a link for the documentation is incomprehensible to me.

And sorry to disappoint you, but if you think you are going to be able to wrap your head around implementing this using threads given the general lack of understanding you have demonstrated throughout this forum thread, I'd say your odds of success are slim and none and slim just left...

Learn to crawl, then walk, then and only then should you attempt to run...

P.S. Stop cobbling together code from google search mashups if you don't have any idea what the code is doing.

Edit: Sorry for multiple edits, but still finding nuggets in your response I did not address... No, I will not rewrite the code for you. I've given you a simple example that should be enough to get you started if you have any programming abilities at all. If you can't start with the example I gave you and accomplish what you want, then I am afraid I can't help you any more.
    Last edited by jefftee; 26th March 2015 at 21:24.

13. The following user says thank you to jefftee for this useful post:

d_stranz (26th March 2015)

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Sorry but arg() is not very important.
    You asked code I delivered it.It is not code from internet no mine --it is from qt installation examples help.
    So we have make more clearer the first task of indexing. So I asked could we write this file properties (Qfileinfo) in Qlist and the context of the code you delivered? Then I need write it to the File so due to the examples in internet I should overload the operator>> in qt. then when Opening the file for XML conversion i should probably made the type-cast to appropriate type when reading from file.
    Is I am not correct? Or maybe for writing to XML I need create the DOM-Tree that I do not suppose how to do (except to do it in the same loop but by adding such as "xml tag" = Qstring Qfileinfo.name). Can I directly to convert tree-view to DOM, or write by nyself all qfileinfo into XML file, despite the esiest way is to use QXMLStreamWriter?
    Anyway without workable Qcreator or CodeBlock it doesnt matter. You can help if download the dll and connected ones for msvcp100 from VS, and make tip for me how to correct the g++ linkage in QT installation - there should be some customize function for Qt? And talking about code -- I need this snipet as without workable compiler it is important, and even in my app I should not preesent too workable one, but I need probably show my vision and skillts to code, despite my expreience is confined to small programs incomparble to this one.
    Last edited by artt; 27th March 2015 at 01:56.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

You can see this posts as rambling but what can I do - but what to do if no codeblock no qcreator works. Then I really could not see even the structure of ordinary qt file. Should I have here the project file? Should .h files to be confined to declaration of main classes. How many .cpp files i can have here or can I include all code to main window? What about code I would like to know whether I can make the similar cycle for converting qfileinfo to xml tags? Despite I have in my task to write the file to xml. <file system> <file> <name> lessons<name/> <size> 700 kb<size/> <path> E:\folder1 <path/> <file/> and next file tag ? <file1> or also <file>...<file system/>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

These posts are not rambling, they are trolling.

You are not actually interested in any help, you just try to see how long you can keep people replying to repetitions of the same content.

I have to commend the other posters who are giving you the benefit of the doubt despite the obviousness of the trolling attempt.
    Or maybe they are reverse trolling and want to see how long it take before you become bored of trolling

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I even do not know what means "commend" (not native english speaking), as well as trolling. The last means that I do not use it anyway and anywhere. If my qcreator do not work I even cannot see what is the real structure of qt apps. Really, I do not know how create .pro file, what exactly should be .h files except class declaration. So I induce other ones to suggest me. If I ask code I ask it to design my apps (despite even through several pieces) at least theoretically. If I do know about how index the files, then I need to know how create the whole structure of this data (some class) and how write and then read from the file. But there is sample of it in the i-net. But how wright it to xml -- I have not examples. Through I need it as it is the first app for me. And of course the gui for every stage of this action is also interwsting for me -- and how to connect it with code -- with the slots and signals? So that is all question for me at this moment.

Added after 4 minutes:

If questions for the code is irrelevant for the forum -- the forumers could help with why I cannot link qt classes in Codeblocks--if there is such pane--I think it should be workable for the CB. Despite I have Dev C++, and maybe are other ide that would work with qt and properly. So https://netbeans.org/kb/74/cnd/qt-ap...html?print=yes -- such resourses could have some tips how resolve the qt issue in CB -- in this instance the inclusion of MinGW folder to environment path -- but you could propose other suggestions.
    Last edited by artt; 27th March 2015 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

My last post in this thread.

Artt:

1 - Install a new, fresh, COMPLETE version of Qt. DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE YOUR BROKEN, OLD, COPIES OF Qt and Code::Blocks. Why do you stubbornly stick to the same thing when it doesn't work???

2 - Once that is done, start Qt Creator, load one of the existing example projects, configure it, build it, and run it.

3 - Once that is done, look at the example source code, read the Qt documentation and work through the tutorials.

By the time you have successfully completed these three SIMPLE steps, maybe you will have learned enough about C++ and Qt to make an attempt at doing the project you have in mind.

But, I must tell you, with the attitude you have shown in your posts, your unwillingness to listen to anything we are telling you, and your stubbornness in trying to chase this confused goal of yours without the knowledge needed to do it, you are going to fail. If you do apply for a job in this area, your lack of skills and unwillingness to learn from others will be obvious.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

It is not the stubborness -- it is the nessesity to do it despite no time no Compilers do not afford it. Yes I will install cb 12 or 13 version, try to install qt5 despite it size is twice as qt4, and new creator. Or try to use with "dev cplus". But if that do not help ... Maybe i need to use qt3 as the problem with qt5 is common as seen on the net. But I think it is the issue with mimgw (g ). And from your side you could download the msvcp100.dll with related ones. Anyway maybe the any separate installation require this dll if no VS on system. So I think to change a lot is not the way out as it has probably far more easy way...If I have knowledge then I ask it. So how to translate qfileinfo.name/size to the tags <name> / <size> is relatively too difficult to me at that moment. So I need to see as it looks like. As well as about classes. Should I create separate classes for indexing, xml translating and searching in separate .cpp and .h files as I am accustomized that in java several classes could be included in some general class. And last one: could I use just one thread in that app if no: how many it could be?

It is not the stubborness -- it is the nessesity to do it despite no time no Compilers do not afford it. Yes I will install cb 12 or 13 version, try to install qt5 despite it size is twice as qt4, and new creator. Or try to use with "dev cplus". But if that do not help ... Maybe i need to use qt3 as the problem with qt5 is common as seen on the net. But I think it is the issue with mimgw (g++). And from your side you could download the msvcp100.dll with related ones. Anyway maybe the any separate installation require this dll if no VS on system. So I think to change a lot is not the way out as it has probably far more easy way...If I have knowledge then I ask it. So how to translate qfileinfo.name/size to the tags <name> / <size> is relatively too difficult to me at that moment. So I need to see as it looks like. As well as about classes. Should I create separate classes for indexing, xml translating and searching in separate .cpp and .h files as I am accustomized that in java several classess could be included in one general class. And the last one: can I use just one thread in this app, if no: for what purposes I need additional threads to make app non-blocking?

Added after 4 minutes:

It is not the stubborness -- it is the nessesity to do it despite no time no Compilers do not afford it. Yes I will install cb 12 or 13 version, try to install qt5 despite it size is twice as qt4, and new creator. Or try to use with "dev cplus". But if that do not help ... Maybe i need to use qt3 as the problem with qt5 is common as seen on the net. But I think it is the issue with mimgw (g++). And from your side you could download the msvcp100.dll with related ones. Anyway maybe the any separate installation require this dll if no VS on system. So I think to change a lot is not the way out as it has probably far more easy way...If I have knowledge then I ask it. So how to translate qfileinfo.name/size to the tags <name> / <size> is relatively too difficult to me at that moment. So I need to see as it looks like. As well as about classes. Should I create separate classes for indexing, xml translating and searching in separate .cpp and .h files as I am accustomized that in java several classes could be placed in one general class. And the last one: can I use jus 1 thread in this app-if no- for which additional purposes I need create additional thread to make app non-blocking?
    Last edited by artt; 27th March 2015 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

It is not the stubborness
    What is it then? You have been told many time what to do and yet you decide to do something else. Even in your post that I quote below you decide to do something else than people are telling you to do.

it is the nessesity to do it
    No, it is not necessity. Necessity is to eat, drink and breathe. Getting a job as a professional programmer is not a necessity.

despite no time
    You don't have time to learn and you expect us to have time to give you advice you are going to ignore?

no Compilers do not afford it
    All the tools you need are free (as in "free beer").

Yes I will install cb 12 or 13 version
    That will not work for you again.

try to install qt5 despite it size is twice as qt4, and new creator.
    Just click this link and start the installaton process: http://download.qt.io/official_relea...x86-online.exe

Make sure the latest version of Qt is checked as well as the MinGW compiler (both should be checked by default so there is a good chance you can just keep clicking "Next"). You don't need to copy any libraries anywhere. When the installation completes, just click Qt Creator's icon in your Start menu (or equivalent). Then follow what others have already said regarding learning Qt.

Maybe i need to use qt3
    Sure. Just remember that Qt3 for Windows is not available without a commercial license probably nobody sells anymore. And Qt3 probably won't run on anything newer than Windows XP (or even 2k).

Yeah, I can keep reverse trolling for a bit more

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Sorry for three the posts in one but it is due it was send from phone, where itwas not visible that they were delivered.
    It is not stubborness. Moreover I hust seen that for my Qt 4.8.(3) I need the MinGw 4.4, despite actual codeblcok have 3.8 --s o during the installation it was seen it at C disk despite it was in Cb folder (so maybe it is the sign of brokeness) -- and the message was about the absence of the very g++ (compiler). So I need just to install 4.4 v. and show this folder for Qt as the simplest way -- and list to check this moment -- despite it is very interesting that Qdir, Qcoreapplication, Qfileinfo is not found, but the QtApplication, QtWidget is supported in CB.
    And I also installed new Qtcreator but not fully-- but it was evoked as it the first case (that I forgot to mention) the "error during installation process (org.qtproject.qtcreator.application);
    Execution failed (Unexpected exit code:1601): "D:\Qt2\lib\vcredist_msvc2010\vcredist_x86 /norestart /q" -- this instance of Qtcreator show the same msvcp100.dll error? I saw in the net the portable version of Qtcreator so maybe it is could be the way out -- but it was in pfaff extension file or so.