Thread: How do I unit test a GUI

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How do I unit test a GUI

I am new to Qt and consider myself fairly new to development having recently returned to the field after many years. I was tasked with learning how to unit test gui fucntions. I have read copied and run the QString example in the tutorial. However, I dont get the overall picture on how to test a function written outside of my test project. I wrote a simple gui that writes to a textlable after a pushbutton click. How do I test this as the code does not reside in my test project. Is there a document or tutorial that gives the overall picture? Think total newbie? Thanks!

Here is the code for the gui:

void MainWindow:n_pushButton_clicked()
    {
    ui->label->setText("Hello World");
    }

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5

3. The following user says thank you to LOC_ for this useful post:

jolema (31st August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How do I unit test a GUI

Quote Originally Posted by jolema View Post
    I was tasked with learning how to unit test gui fucntions.
    There are different ways of automatically testing UI parts.

One option is to use the built-in functionality of the Qt unit test framework QTest, see key... and mouse... methods here http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtest.html

Another option is to first run the UI and record events and then replay those.
    Either by doing that yourself, or by using tools designed for that, such as Autopilot-Qt or Squish

Quote Originally Posted by jolema View Post
    However, I dont get the overall picture on how to test a function written outside of my test project.
    Like for any other unit test, you need to be able to instantiate an object for the class in question.
    Either by building the class into the unit test executable (by adding it to the unit test's .pro file) or by linking with a library that contains the class.

When using a UI testing tool such as Squish, that is slightly different as it will launch the application and hook into it for getting and setting values, sending events, etc.

Cheers,
    _

5. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

jolema (31st August 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How do I unit test a GUI

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    There are different ways of automatically testing UI parts.

One option is to use the built-in functionality of the Qt unit test framework QTest, see key... and mouse... methods here http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtest.html

Another option is to first run the UI and record events and then replay those.
    Either by doing that yourself, or by using tools designed for that, such as Autopilot-Qt or Squish

Like for any other unit test, you need to be able to instantiate an object for the class in question.
    Either by building the class into the unit test executable (by adding it to the unit test's .pro file) or by linking with a library that contains the class.

When using a UI testing tool such as Squish, that is slightly different as it will launch the application and hook into it for getting and setting values, sending events, etc.

Cheers,
    _
    This clears things up quite a bit. Thank you.