I need to have an rectangular area where I paint colors that will be read by a colormeter or spectrophotometer. I would like to allow users to resize and/or move this widget inside the applications workspace (this will be most of the screen) so that they can place the meter were ever it works best for them.

Currently I am using a QLabel that is a fixed size and is always in the middle of the dialog as the area that displays the pixmap that contains the color I want displayed. This can not be resized or moved as far as I know. But I could be wrong about this.

Looking at the QT docs I thought that perhaps I could make a QFrame that is in this main area of the dialog a QWorkspace and then make the QLabel child widget of the QWorkspace. Something like this:

// MDIframe was created in designer
QWorkspace* colorPatchWS = new QWorkspace(MDIframe);
QLabel* pixmapColor = new QLabel(pixmapColor);
pixmapColor -> setMinimumSize(QSize(400,400));

But when I test the resulting app it appears that the QWorkspace is only in the very upper left hand part of the QFrame. I don't care how I solve the issue. So I don't care if QWorkspace will work or not or if there is some other better solution. I just need a solution that works. ANyone have any ideas?