Thread: Version Upgrade from Qt 5.2.1 to Qt 5.5.1 caused heavy performance drop

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Thumbs down Version Upgrade from Qt 5.2.1 to Qt 5.5.1 caused heavy performance drop

Hello everyone,

this is a thread I never expected to open, but today I ran into a problem when updating my Qt-version.

I was happily using Qt 5.2.1 32 bit with MinGW 4.8 and QtCreator 3.0.1 (based on Qt 5.2.1 (MSVC 2010, 32 bit)). Then I needed the Websocket support that was only added in Qt 5.3. So why not download the newest version? So I installed Qt 5.5.1 32 bit with MinGW 4.9 and Qt Creator 3.5.1 (opensource) (based on Qt 5.5.1 (MSVC 2013, 32 bit)).

At first, I could not compile my application. Then I figured out it was due to a lib of myself that I was using that was created with Qt 5.2.1. So I compiled it with Qt 5.5.1, and then I could also compile my application. But what a change! The performance has hugely dropped! I have a lot of qDebug() in my code. With Qt 5.2.1 I could see if running very fast through the console. But now, a) the color of the text is pink (any reason why? i was not debugging...) and b) the qDebug() output now runs quite slowly through the console. And opening a complex widget (no code changes!) takes 15 seconds, with Qt 5.2.1 it opened instantly!

I can only think that a reason could be that the install path is not "optimal"?

Qt 5.2.1 is installed here:
    C:/Qt/...
    Qt 5.5.1 is installed here:
    C:/Qt5.5.1/

My computer is runnning Windows 8 64 bit.

I tried to disable the qDebug() messages to see if there is the root cause, with

Qt Code:
    1. CONFIG(release,release|debug){
    2. DEFINES += QT_NO_DEBUG_OUTPUT
    3. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

But this did nothing at all (I mean: the qDebug()-messages did not disappear), even after cleaning and rebuilding everything.

Or can the problem be due to the QtCreator community edition?
    Last edited by turtle; 24th January 2016 at 23:04.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Version Upgrade from Qt 5.2.1 to Qt 5.5.1 caused heavy performance drop

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Or can the problem be due to the QtCreator community edition?
    No, there is no difference in versions of the same version number.

You could try category based logging, so you can enable/disable categories on a case by case basis as needed.

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Re: Version Upgrade from Qt 5.2.1 to Qt 5.5.1 caused heavy performance drop

I just installed Qt 5.3.2 and everything is working, the performance as well. There's something seriously wrong about the Qt 5.5.1 version...
    Last edited by turtle; 24th January 2016 at 23:03.