Thread: Memory is increasing when loading a QML page but not freed completely after closing

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Exclamation Memory is increasing when loading a QML page but not freed completely after closing

Hello Friends,

I have observed a mysterious increase of memory while browsing through QML pages of my application.
    The observation was as follows:

I started the application and checked for memory
    I loaded a QML page (Normally using Loader or Stackview) and checked for memory
    Memory increased 2-9 MB depending on the page.
    After closing the page 1-3 MB of memory was still not freed, still under usage(Free memory on system got reduced).
    If we continuously browse through the application, After some time around 1 hour system memory was full and leading to application crash

My checking with the memory tools on the embedded board I observed Heap memory was getting Increased.

Please help me in solving this issue.

Specifications :

Used Qt5.3.2
    QtQuick 2.3
    Running the application on QNX Platform

Thanks in advance
    Murali Krishna

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Memory is increasing when loading a QML page but not freed completely after closi

Does the page instantiate any custom types? I.e. anything registered with qmlRegisterType() or similar functions?

Have you run the application through a leak checker, e.g. Valgrind on Linux?

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Memory is increasing when loading a QML page but not freed completely after closi

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I using qmlRegisterType() objects of some classes to read variables.
    Except that all other components are normal either QML components or custom QML components.

I am running valgrind on the application but there are no leak in c++.

Regards
    Murali

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hmm, are you keeping references to elements/screens that are no longer needed, prohibiting their garbage collection?

Have you checked if explicitly triggering garbage collection via Qt.gc() changes anything?

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Probably I am not keeping any of the references. I am using loader or stackview to load the qml page.
    I didn't tried calling gc() externally.

I am using Qt5.3.2 and I am loading all the resources externally. Not using qrc for loading either qml or Images.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by mkreddy View Post
    Probably I am not keeping any of the references. I am using loader or stackview to load the qml page.
    That sounds fine.
    I assume you are using "push" and "pop" on the stack view, so "pop" would have discarded the references to the previous top most page.

Quote Originally Posted by mkreddy View Post
    I am using Qt5.3.2 and I am loading all the resources externally. Not using qrc for loading either qml or Images.
    I don't think that would make any difference.

If you are loading a lot of different types, then one thing that might increasingly consume memory is the component cache.
    See QQmlEngine::clearComponentCache().

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I tried using QQmlEngine::clearComponentCache(). But it is destroying the entire data hence crashing the application.

Could you please provide me some sample how can I use the QQmlEngine::clearComponentCache().

I tried using cashe: false and asynchronous: true in Image component. Its giving some positive result but not solving the problem completely.

Regards,
    Murali Krishna

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ah, looks like that was the wrong one. Try trimComponentCache().

In any case you probably need to look at this with a memory profile to see where the memory is allocated and check if you assumed it would be deallocated but wasn't.

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Yeah sure I will use memory profile to check whats going wrong.
    I observed some thing strange with a sample application which has the 2 qml pages which are loaded from main.qml. The main.qml contains two rectangle components and each qml has 4 Image components. I am loading these pages with Loader.

If I load this application I observed around 1.2 MB of increase in memory and then on close of these pages I didn't observed any change in memory.
    After using cashe: false and asynchronous: true It has reduced the memory and around 0.1 -0.2 MB remains there.

I introduced 2 Text components and observed the memory. It increased 2.5-3 MB. after closing the loaded QML pages The memory reduced from 2.5 MB to 0.8 MB.

So with each text component there is a leak of around 0.4 MB. I tried using clearComponentCache(). But I didn't observed any progress.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I am attaching the sample project. Please have a look and suggest me what is wrong in my code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Any one has any suggestion...??

I tried clearcomponentcache(), trimcomponentcache()
    but I didn't find any result.

Please suggest me some thing.