The OPs question makes more sense if you understand how Visual Basic 6 handled controls on a form. A form could have a number fully independent text boxes (equivalent of QLineEdit) each with an individual name as you would see in a Qt form. However, VB6 also had an upper limit on the number of controls on a form (256 IIRC). If you needed to exceed that then VB6 provided a method that could be used to provide a flyweight version of a control with single name and index to access many instances of that control type: a control array. That is, edit(1) referred to the first editor, edit(2) to the second, etc. but there was only one actual control object. Once the control gained an index its event handlers (like slots) were automagically passed an integer index number as their first argument.

The most direct translation of that is to a list of QLineEdits and a QSignalMapper (but the behaviours also bear striking resemblance to the transient editor in item views). I guess that in Python th "control array" might look some like this (only passing knowledge of Python):
Qt Code:
  1. self.TextBox = []
  2. for i in range(0, 1500):
  3. self.TextBox.append(new QLineEdit)
  4. layout.addWidget(self.TextBox[i])
  6. # and later
  7. Str = TextBox[123].text()
To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
Actually, the QSignalMapper docs have an almost complete example of the entire process including channelling signals from 1500 widgets through a single set of slots with an integer index.