Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: wwWidgets

Building on Windows, I get

Qt Code:
    1. 1>.\qwwfilechooser\qwwfilechooser.cpp(79) : error C3083: '{ctor}': the symbol to the left of a '::' must be a type
    2. 1>.\qwwfilechooser\qwwfilechooser.cpp(228) : error C3083: '{ctor}': the symbol to the left of a '::' must be a type
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Both lines look like
    Qt Code:
    1. int mar = style()->pixelMetric(QStyle::QStyle::PM_DefaultFrameWidth, &opt, this);

Removing redundant "QStyle" fixes compilation, but I've now got some linker errors that I'm trying to sort out.

P

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Hmm... you're right, I don't know how the doubled QStyle happened to be there. If you define WW_NO_FILECHOOSER in the project file, those problems should vanish - the widget is not ready yet anyway... What exact linker errors do you get?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Re: wwWidgets

Its the plugin that's giving the problem. The "widgets" project has created dll and lib files sucessfully. Running within Visual Studio, I get
    Qt Code:
    1. 1>------ Build started: Project: wwwidgets4plugin, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    2. 1>Linking...
    3. 1>LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option '/L../widgets/release'; ignored
    4. 1>LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option '/L../widgets/debug'; ignored
    5. 1> Creating library debug\wwwidgets4plugin.lib and object debug\wwwidgets4plugin.exp
    6. 1>colorlisteditor.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    7. public: __thiscall ColorModel::ColorModel(class QObject *)"
    8. (??0ColorModel@@QAE@PAVQObject@@@Z)
    9. referenced in function
    10. "public: __thiscall ColorListEditor::ColorListEditor(class QWidget *,class QFlags<enum Qt::WindowType>)"
    11. ??0ColorListEditor@@QAE@PAVQWidget@@V?$QFlags@W4WindowType@Qt@@@@@Z
    12. 1>qwwcolorbuttoniface.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    13. "public: __thiscall ColorModel::ColorModel(class QObject *)"
    14. (??0ColorModel@@QAE@PAVQObject@@@Z)
    15. 1>qwwcolorcomboboxiface.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    16. "public: __thiscall ColorModel::ColorModel(class QObject *)"
    17. (??0ColorModel@@QAE@PAVQObject@@@Z)
    18. 1>colorlisteditor.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    19. "public: class QModelIndex __thiscall ColorModel::addColor(class QColor const &,class QString const &)"
    20. (?addColor@ColorModel@@QAE?AVQModelIndex@@ABVQColor@@ABVQString@@@Z)
    21. referenced in function
    22. "protected: void __thiscall ColorListEditor::setColorMap(void)" (?setColorMap@ColorListEditor@@IAEXXZ)
    23. 1>qwwcolorbuttoniface.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    24. "public: class QModelIndex __thiscall ColorModel::addColor(class QColor const &,class QString const &)"
    25. (?addColor@ColorModel@@QAE?AVQModelIndex@@ABVQColor@@ABVQString@@@Z)
    26. 1>qwwcolorcomboboxiface.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    27. "public: class QModelIndex __thiscall ColorModel::addColor(class QColor const &,class QString const &)"
    28. (?addColor@ColorModel@@QAE?AVQModelIndex@@ABVQColor@@ABVQString@@@Z)
    29. 1>qwwfilechooseriface.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    30. "public: __thiscall QwwFileChooser::QwwFileChooser(class QWidget *)"
    31. (??0QwwFileChooser@@QAE@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function
    32. "public: virtual class QWidget * __thiscall QwwFileChooserIface::createWidget(class QWidget *)"
    33. (?createWidget@QwwFileChooserIface@@UAEPAVQWidget@@PAV2@@Z)
    34. 1>qwwrichtextbuttoniface.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    35. "public: __thiscall QwwRichTextButton::QwwRichTextButton(class QWidget *)"
    36. (??0QwwRichTextButton@@QAE@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function
    37. "public: virtual class QWidget * __thiscall QwwRichTextButtonIface::createWidget(class QWidget *)"
    38. (?createWidget@QwwRichTextButtonIface@@UAEPAVQWidget@@PAV2@@Z)
    39. 1>qwwtextspinboxiface.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
    40. "public: __thiscall QwwTextSpinBox::QwwTextSpinBox(class QWidget *)"
    41. (??0QwwTextSpinBox@@QAE@PAVQWidget@@@Z) referenced in function
    42. "public: virtual class QWidget * __thiscall QwwTextSpinBoxIface::createWidget(class QWidget *)"
    43. (?createWidget@QwwTextSpinBoxIface@@UAEPAVQWidget@@PAV2@@Z)
    44. 1>debug\wwwidgets4plugin.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals

...but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it tonight.

Pete

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Default wwWidgets 0.8 available

I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of wwWidgets 0.8

The main effort has been put on compilability with gcc, msvc and mingw and compatibility with Qt4.4. Apart from obtaining those goals (at least I hope so), the set is extended with new widgets such as:

QRichTextEdit - a widget that turns QTextEdit into a usable selfsufficient rich text editor

QwwButtonLineEdit - a lineedit class that combines the line edit with a programmable button.

Derived widgets such as QwwClearLineEdit, QwwResetLineEdit and QwwFileChooser are also available.

Full capabilities and full Designer integration is available for very recent (late January 2007) snapshots of Qt 4.4, but the whole set should compile with earlier snapshots as well as Qt 4.3 and Qt 4.2.

Please note that though wwWidgets are fully usable, the version 1.0 has not been reached yet and so the API and ABI may (and probably will) change in future releases.

The website has not yet been fully updated with docs and descriptions. In any doubt, please ask questions - I will gladly answer them.

Visit http://www.wysota.eu.org/wwwidgets for more details and download. Binary releases of the set may be available upon request.

All comments and other feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

wysota,

As you must realize, I await these release eagerly. However your website doesn't seem to responding at the moment.

Pete

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Hmm... really? It works fine for me.

Attached you'll find the 0.8 source code archive in case you continue to be unable to access the website.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

pdolbey (28th January 2008)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Everything works great with MinGW. However, when I try to compile/install using msvc, I have some problems.

I did:

qmake
    nmake
    nmake install

Everything seems fine, but when I compile and run an example, it complains that it is missing mingw dll. ???!

So, I tried to link directly to the library (i.e. not using CONFIG += wwwidgets) and everything worked fine. So it must be a problem with wwwidgets.prf with msvc. ??

I am using Qt 4.3.3

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by magland View Post
    Everything works great with MinGW
    Good, MinGW was the platform giving me the most trouble

Everything seems fine, but when I compile and run an example, it complains that it is missing mingw dll. ???!
    It means you link against a dll that has been built using MinGW and not MSVC.

So, I tried to link directly to the library (i.e. not using CONFIG += wwwidgets) and everything worked fine. So it must be a problem with wwwidgets.prf with msvc. ??
    It's probably a problem with your configuration. Your two installs must have somehow interfered one another. Maybe you used wrong qmake or something... I have MSVC and MinGW installed side by side and both of them behave fine.

Oh, by the way - I'd like to thank Artur (aka Calhal) for helping me with MinGW compilation. Special thanks also go to Johan who has been testing my set with MinGW in earlier releases.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Hmm... really? It works fine for me.

Attached you'll find the 0.8 source code archive in case you continue to be unable to access the website.
    I'm on a highly restricted environment at work, having to run the internet via Citrix, but I don't normally receive the tcp timeout error I got unless the target site is unavailable. Anyway thanks for putting the release out as an attachment. I'll grab it from my home machine later - and see if your web site is reachable from home. I'll only add to this thread if it isn't.

Pete

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

WOW.... this is just "bad"... a very "bad release" ... first time I do take a look into it deeply

There are some issues with some widgets, the documentation is very poor, no static library (I sure would like the demos to be linked statically so I can test it without the library to be installed), no copyright in the TGZ on this thread... but still, very impressive. Continue with the good job!

Funny you have this richtext editor, I am working on something very similar, but mine has a tabbar at the bottom, so you can edit the HTML source. Is it possible to add such feature to the rich text editor? Also, how do I set the icons of the actions in that widget? the QActions are not exported outside the widget's interface.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco View Post
    WOW.... this is just "bad"... a very "bad release" ... first time I do take a look into it deeply
    lol

There are some issues with some widgets
    Yep, I know

the documentation is very poor
    I'm still battling the xsl template.

no static library
    Hmm... if you run qmake CONFIG+=staticlib (or whatever it was) it should compile fine.

(I sure would like the demos to be linked statically so I can test it without the library to be installed)
    I'll think about it.

no copyright in the TGZ on this thread...
    Yeah, I'm aware of that... But hey, it's 0.8 and not 1.0

but still, very impressive. Continue with the good job!
    Thanks. As I said, the main effort was put to make it compilable everywhere - that used to be the biggest problem. I'm only a one-man army, so until I develop some tools to make my life easier, everything takes time. I already have a wizard for creating plugin code which at least makes it easy to add widgets to the set without necessary copy&paste. The project file is quite advanced as well, so adding new widgets requires only to add the class name to one variable and everything else is taken care of.

Funny you have this richtext editor, I am working on something very similar, but mine has a tabbar at the bottom, so you can edit the HTML source. Is it possible to add such feature to the rich text editor?
    Hmm... I'll think about it. Maybe not as a tab but as a button or menu item. The downside is that Qt generates a messy html code so it might not look very nice.

Also, how do I set the icons of the actions in that widget?
    I haven't tried that but you should be able to substitute the resources from which the icons are taken. The widget will be extended in the next release - I plan to have the toolbar configurable and in general more flexible but as I'm lazy (and undermanned) I'm looking for an easy way to make the toolbar more flexible, currently if icons don't fit into the widget, they are not visible - it shouldn't be like that.

the QActions are not exported outside the widget's interface.
    That will probably change in the future. The widget is not ready yet, but I felt like releasing it anyway. I had to release 0.8 now once I made everything compilable and 4.4 compatible (thanks to Jarek Kobus).

0.9 should be released shortly once I get some feedback about 0.8. Planned for that release is functionality freeze (until 1.0), ABI freeze and improved modularity. All that is almost ready. I also have some neat ideas for the plugin, maybe I'll manage to implement them in 0.9. You may already see the extra menu in Designer when the plugin is active.

Please keep that feedback coming!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi again,

No problems downloading from the web site or compiling with VS2005 Ent. The only minor gotcha is that the wwwidgets4.dll is being dumped into the Qt4 "lib" folder, not the "bin" folder, which means its not in my PATH - but easily moved. I'll start playing with it tonight.

My only other query is over the license - will this definitely be GPL or is LGPL a possibility?This has an impact with some of my QtOCC collaborators on sourceforge (http://qtocc.sourceforge.net), which we will license under LGPL in accordance with the GPL_EXCEPTION.TXT given with Qt4.3.3. The choice of license is obviously yours, and you may feel strongly about the GPL/LGPL argument - but I thought I'd ask if a relaxation was possible.

Cheers, Pete

p.s. no release is ever a "bad release"!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by pdolbey View Post
    Hi again,

No problems downloading from the web site or compiling with VS2005 Ent. The only minor gotcha is that the wwwidgets4.dll is being dumped into the Qt4 "lib" folder, not the "bin" folder,
    It should land in the bin as well. The mechanism is not perfect as the library has to be called "wwwidgets4.dll" and be present in release or debug subdirectories after the compilation, but it worked fine last time I checked it. Maybe it missed the right name in your case.

My only other query is over the license - will this definitely be GPL or is LGPL a possibility?
    Hmm... I'm open to suggestions, but I think that because of Qt being GPL, I can't licence it to LGPL. If you prove me wrong, I can think of making an exception.

This has an impact with some of my QtOCC collaborators on sourceforge (http://qtocc.sourceforge.net), which we will license under LGPL in accordance with the GPL_EXCEPTION.TXT given with Qt4.3.3. The choice of license is obviously yours, and you may feel strongly about the GPL/LGPL argument - but I thought I'd ask if a relaxation was possible.
    Oh, I think this proves me wrong. I'm against releasing under LGPL as this would allow people to use my widgets in commercial applications without buying a licence. I'm putting much effort in the development and I haven't received a single sign of appreciation other than a post in this thread (meaning no donations to my paypal account) stating about bad releases My widgets might not be of top notch quality just yet but I think I'm constantly improving so I wouldn't want someone to just take it and earn big money with it without me knowing. Unfortunately it is a rare case that LGPL is really respected by commercial applications. For instance the licence requires the licence file and an acknowledgement to be present in the product using the LGPL-licenced library. Are you sure this is respected?

p.s. no release is ever a "bad release"!
    I wouldn't say that

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Wink Re: wwWidgets

Yes, if you expect to earn some remuneration you can't take the risk of LGPL'ing it as its the only leverage you have on commercial users - I completely understand. And its difficult (just about impossible) to go back to GPL if you make it available under LGPL.

From my perspective, it means that I cannot tightly integrate with the library thereby forming a dependency, but I should be able to use it for producing nice looking application "containers", so long as the libs are logically separated (I think).

Pete

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by pdolbey View Post
    From my perspective, it means that I cannot tightly integrate with the library thereby forming a dependency, but I should be able to use it for producing nice looking application "containers", so long as the libs are logically separated (I think).
    I'm sorry, I have no idea

From what I understand I can licence the library any way I like as long as I don't break the licence of components I use, so in theory I could licence it in such a way that I make an exception for a particular project. But honestly - I don't know that, these are only my assumptions. I'm not a lawyer nor an expert on open source licencing scheme. If you know better - enlighten me

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Basically if you license it to a project such as mine with LGPL, you give me the right to pass it on to others with the same license - and I don't think you want to do that! However I can use your GPL'd library and my LGPL'd library together in an application, but only if the final application is also GPL. I can live with that.

Pete

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks W, I like these widgets. Not sure why I was having trouble before, but it seems to be resolved now.

If you'd like to see QwwRichTextEdit inside an IDE, here's a QwwRichTextEdit plugin for HaiQ.

By the way, it would be nice to be able to edit hyperlinks and insert images.... or maybe that should be done by the user in subclass?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by magland View Post
    Thanks W, I like these widgets.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Not sure why I was having trouble before, but it seems to be resolved now.
    I'm glad most compile problems have been resolved.

If you'd like to see QwwRichTextEdit inside an IDE, here's a QwwRichTextEdit plugin for HaiQ.
    Great Keep up the good work, maybe you'll find some use for other widgets of mine too. Maybe the tip widget (it'll be improved in 0.9) and the wwbuttonlineedit family can be of use to you.

By the way, it would be nice to be able to edit hyperlinks and insert images.... or maybe that should be done by the user in subclass?
    I didn't have plans for hyperlinks and images, but it shouldn't be hard to implement them (either in a subclass or directly). I'll think of it. Right now I have to make the list work properly (currently list nesting is incorrect) and improve the interface so that it is customizable.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Perhaps this is not a wwWidgets-specific question, but nevertheless....

One problem I am having with the rich text edit widget is that when I save a file as type .html and then view in a browser, the spacing is all different. Is there something I should use besides toHtml() to save the file, or perhaps I should save file as a different (non-html) type?

Ideally, I'd like to have html page display with same spacing that I see in the rich text widget (i.e. line indents, etc) . Is that possible?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Qt uses a wacky html formatting. You probably experience issues related to font differences. This is surely not wwWidgets related.

A probable solution would be to set a proper font either on the widget or on the document (before or after exporting it to html), but it's just a wild guess and really more of a long shot.