Thread: How to get CMake to generate moc files that can be included in cpps

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question How to get CMake to generate moc files that can be included in cpps

Hi there,

since it's been a while since my last post - hello to everyone!

In a library code I noticed that the moc-generated cpp files are included at the bottom of the cpp file that matches the respective header used to generate the moc_xxx.cpp. I understand that this speeds up compilation. But also, inside the cpp file there are private class declarations that are needed for the moc-generated code to compile.

Building with Qt-creator is no problem at all - it generates the moc_xxx.cpp files, they are included in the cpp-files, compiled and done. Also, qmake does not attempt to compile the moc_xxx.cpp files themselves!

When running the system through CMake using qt5_wrap_cpp() I get a problem. Example cmake-code:

# collect a list of all header files (to be used in MOC compiler)
    file( GLOB LIB_HDRS ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/../../src/*.h )

# collect a list of all source files, these are also run through the moc compiler
    file( GLOB LIB_SRCS ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/../../src/*.cpp )

# generate mocs from headers
    qt5_wrap_cpp( LIB_MOC_SRCS ${LIB_HDRS})

# generate moc-cpps from sources
    qt5_wrap_cpp( LIB_MOCCPP_SRCS ${LIB_SRCS})

# add build target for library and use all generated files as dependencies
    add_library( ${PROJECT_NAME} STATIC
    ${LIB_SRCS}
    ${LIB_MOC_SRCS}
    ${LIB_MOCCPP_SRCS}
    )

CMake will now generate build rules for all generated cpps, resulting in some code being compile twice (giving linker problems) and some moc_xxx.cpp files not being able to compile because the private declarations inside the cpp-files are not available.

Question: what's the best way to get tell cmake that the moc-generated cpps are already included in other cpps and do not need to be compiled?

The variant with handcrafting a custom build target for the mocs alone and adding this "custom target" as dependency to the lib appears to work, but is quite complex. Sure there is a simpler solution, or not?

Thanks,
    Andreas
    Andreas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to get CMake to generate moc files that can be included in cpps

Google found the answer more quickly than the time it probably took you to write this.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unfortunately, the page you dug up does not give a solution to my problem (btw, reading the CMake docs was the first I tried, also googling the various solutions proposed therein). Let me re-phrase my question again:

How can I tell CMake to *exclude* the generated moc-cpp-files from the build because they are already included in other cpps. AUTOMOC will only be activated, when resulting moc-cpps are actually *built* in the project. If they are not part of the add_executable() or add_library() statement, moc won't be called in the first place.

Added after 22 minutes:

The CMake docs are unspecific at best:

AUTOMOC is a boolean specifying whether CMake will handle the Qt moc preprocessor automatically, i.e. without having to use the QT4_WRAP_CPP() or QT5_WRAP_CPP() macro.
    It is not clear how automoc determines the respective files to parse and under which conditions it is run.

I attached a test project to try out a solution - the AUTOMOC property clearly does not work (despite the CMake documentation that this should run moc even without the use of qt5_wrap_cpp() ) macro.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ghorwin; 27th May 2018 at 17:19.
    Andreas

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The command is 'set(CMAKE_AUTOMOC ON)' as correctly stated in the documentation.
    And there you can also read how to exclude a file from automoc: 'Source C++ files can be excluded from AUTOMOC processing by enabling SKIP_AUTOMOC or the broader SKIP_AUTOGEN.'

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks, that works nicely.
    Andreas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Question: what's the best way to get tell cmake that the moc-generated cpps are already included in other cpps and do not need to be compiled?
    I do not #include the moc-generated cpps in the corresponding class cpp files, but instead let them be built and linked as separate compilation and link targets, so I don't run into this issue. The .moc files will be re-generated and compiled as needed when the QObject-based class header file changes.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.