Thread: Logging to a file and using same model for diff views

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Logging to a file and using same model for diff views

Hi,

Is there any classes for doing logging of data to a file in Qt? I have looked at using QFile so far but just wondered if there is anything like the simple-log for java?

Also was wondering if it is possible to have one model which can be used by two seperate views, one view being a tableview, the other a treeview, I don't know if this is possible as the underlying data structures would be different and I guess?

Regards,
    Steve

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Logging to a file and using same model for diff views

Is there any classes for doing logging of data to a file in Qt? I have looked at using QFile so far but just wondered if there is anything like the simple-log for java?
    Go ahead and use QFile, there is no other class.

Also was wondering if it is possible to have one model which can be used by two seperate views, one view being a tableview, the other a treeview, I don't know if this is possible as the underlying data structures would be different and I guess?
    I haven't heard of such thing. The best you can do is to share the data between the two models. But this way you will have to keep the data in a separate, independent structure and have both models update from it.

Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok, will just use QFile.

Thought using a model for different types of view would be strange, unless the views were similar. Guess I'd have to have two different models that share the data as you suggested.

Thanks,
    Steve

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I thought that was the point of the Model/View programming model. Assuming a model can fulfill the needs of the views, you can have all sorts of views pointing to the same model.

-joe

Quote Originally Posted by steg90 View Post
    Ok, will just use QFile.

Thought using a model for different types of view would be strange, unless the views were similar. Guess I'd have to have two different models that share the data as you suggested.

Thanks,
    Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by steg90 View Post
    I sometimes use Log4cpp.

If you want only a single level of the tree displayed by the table view, then you can use the model directly on both views as already suggested. If you want to display all items in some different manner, use a proxy model that will transform the tree into a flat model (try this one here: http://www.thorsen-consulting.dk/dow...0051221.tar.gz ).
    Last edited by wysota; 11th May 2007 at 00:21.