Thread: Which software to start.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Cool Which software to start.

hi All, I'm Luca.
    I'm new to QT.
    I work in an animation studio and we use a software for animation called Toon Boom Harmony (on windows 7 professional).
    I would like to develop some script, and according to the Toon Boom documentation the script must be done with QT 4.8
    http://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/index.html
    I'm Struggling to understand which tool-kit I need to instal in order to learn QT 4.8.
    I've read that there's is a thing called "QT Quick" but I've not understood what exactly it is.
    I've found this link for a download for an "Open Source Usage under (L)GPL v3 license"
    https://www.qt.io/download
    Is that link the right one to download the necessary things?
    My task is to learn how to manage basic script in QT and then apply them to the Toon Boom software; basically, my task is to manage nodes, collect x and y data, manage them. At the moment don't Need to build an app or manage a database or other complicated things

Can someone help a newbie
    Many Many thanks
    Luca Costa

for clarity, this is the reference that the Toon Boom support gave us about the script
    https://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmo...ipting/script/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Which software to start.

It seems from the documentation that your tool is scriptable (Harmony Script) using a component of Qt called QtScript that is built into your tool. Scripting of things that do not need a complex user-interface should be achievable using only a text editor (as in the one-line example on the Harmony Script Interface Documentation page you linked), a working understanding of ECMASCript (aka JavaScript, not the same as Java, see ECMAScript Reference) and maybe reference to the Qt documentation (for an understanding of signals/slots and class member information).

If you need a complex UI then Harmony Script provides access to Qt's UI tools through its UILoader class. The *.ui files UILoader ingests can be constructed using the Qt Designer tool. You will get a Qt Designer program with the install of a Qt SDK, in your case I'd go with Qt 4.8.7: here. You might also download the current Qt Creator which can provide a full IDE for Qt development, including Designer in embedded form.