Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Creating a service, Windows 10, Qt 5.4.1,

Qt used to have a way to create a service, but they deprecated it with Windows Vista. I did some searching around for a couple of days, worded my search right, and found a method to create a service step-by-step with code on the Microsoft site. There's 4 parts to it, the first step is to create a definitions dll. No problem. You do it command line without opening visual studio. You then create a c++ empty project. Then you add the Svc file, add the definitions library to the project, and you're done as far as creating and starting an empty service. There are other programs form configuration, etc. but as far as installing the service, they are not needed though you will need to run svcconfig delete SvcName to take the service back out. If you going to "play" with it, this is the address of the Microsoft site. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...service-sample. If I open Visual Studio, create an empty project, add the Svc.cpp file and the sample.dll, compile it, it works fine. So that a could add a Qt class to do the work, I made a Qt console application, copied in the Svc.cpp file and the sample.dll and removed the Qt main. I didn't add any other code to it or anything, it's the same project only with Qt's VisualStudio addin. When I run it to try to install the service, (Svc.exe install), I get the error code ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED when I try to open the ServiceManager "OpenSCManager(NULL,NULL,SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS )". I tried doing the empty project and then adding all the paths, etc and include (but not use) the class, it says I can't do it because I didn't use the Visual Studio add in. I really need this to run as a service so that SysAdmin can control access and so that it will run in the background even in screen-lock mode. I've tried to give enough information, I hope somebody can help me. I attached a copy of the 3 programs written from an empty project that work, the Svc.cpp code, and the sample.dll . The dll is just a set of error definitions, it doesn't really do anything. I didn't know qtcentre wouldn't allow you to upload dll or exe, but it makes sense. I attached all files to create the programs so that you can see what they look like without having to hunt around and without making this post a mile long. The only one I'm having problems with is the Svc.cpp program. The others don't have to be compiled in a Qt environment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Creating a service, Windows 10, Qt 5.4.1,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes. The part that actually make it as a service in the background doesn't work starting with Windows Vista

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Are you sure ? I use this for Windows 7/8/10 and WS 2003/2012 without any problems.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

When I tried it before, I was trying to make a GUI run as a thread. That's the part that was deprecated. Call this a learning lesson. I've already made a command line version, and on reading the documentation again, it says that you should separate the service and the GUI into two separate programs. I've already done this, now all I have to do is get the command line to run as a service. Here we go trying to figure out how to make a service using qt-solutions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I had a command line server program written, and I thought it would just be a matter of adding/changing a few lines of code to make it a QtService. Didn't work. I tried making a blank one from scratch in Visual Studio 2013. Started out I made a command line (QCoreApplication) project. Then I tried to create an empty service using add class. Named the class MyService (I had to call it something) made the base class QCoreApplication, left constructor signature blank. Once created, I put all the appropriate values in the constructor. I then added "qtservice.h" and added the code to make it a QtService<QCoreApplication>.
    Then I added all the virtual functions. I left them as empty functions. What it looks like when the compile fails is that QtService<QCoreApplication> is not inheriting QObject. A while back I made a gui service but you can't do that anymore so it got scrapped but I still have the code. On that one I used QtWidgets/QApplication to make an application and then changed the .h and .cpp files to match a QtService, included the .h file, and added the necessary functions (start, stop, etc.) and it compiled fine. I checked the project settings and they are all set to include qtservice. I also tried it with and without Q_OBJECT* at the beginning of the class. What am I doing wrong? added this after post. I'm getting error C2039 staticMetaObject is not a member of QtService<QCoreApplication>. When I looked it up online it said in several places that it's not inheriting QObject.
    Last edited by TonyInSoMD; 20th September 2018 at 15:04.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

We are not fairies. What does "compilation fails" mean?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Android

Quote Originally Posted by TonyInSoMD View Post
    I had a command line server program written, and I thought it would just be a matter of adding/changing a few lines of code to make it a QtService. Didn't work. I tried making a blank one from scratch in Visual Studio 2013. Started out I made a command line (QCoreApplication) project. Then I tried to create an empty service using add class. Named the class MyService (I had to call it something) made the base class QCoreApplication, left constructor signature blank. Once created, I put all the appropriate values in the constructor. I then added "qtservice.h" and added the code to make it a QtService<QCoreApplication>.
    Then I added all the virtual functions. I left them as empty functions. What it looks like when the compile fails is that QtService<QCoreApplication> is not inheriting QObject. A while back I made a gui service but you can't do that anymore so it got scrapped but I still have the code. On that one I used QtWidgets/QApplication to make an application and then changed the .h and .cpp files to match a QtService, included the .h file, and added the necessary functions (start, stop, etc.) and it compiled fine. I checked the project settings and they are all set to include qtservice. I also tried it with and without Q_OBJECT* at the beginning of the class. What am I doing wrong? added this after post. I'm getting error C2039 staticMetaObject is not a member of QtService<QCoreApplication>. When I looked it up online it said in several places that it's not inheriting QObject.
    but what exactly was the C2039 error?
    because I have always found this error