Thread: Total Newb Question - Why? Is terrminal the only way to open some qt apps

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Total Newb Question - Why? Is terrminal the only way to open some qt apps

Ok

So my question is this

Mainly in Linux

Why do some QT apps only open by using terminal.

I will download an app and in linux I can click on it and it will run and then Ill download another app and I have to (make sure permissions are correct) But the ./applicatoin-qt to run it.

What is the reason that it compiles one way to open from terminal and another way to open just by clicking an alias.
    Last edited by TheVoice; 9th February 2019 at 04:23. Reason: Better title description

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Total Newb Question - Why? Is terrminal the only way to open some qt apps

All programs can be started through the command line shell or the graphical shell.
    Neither shell really cares about the program it launches.

The programs themselves can have graphical UI, shell/text based UI or even no UI at all.

Running the latter two from a graphical shell either requires a terminal application to show their text output or the user will simply not see anything.

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Total Newb Question - Why? Is terrminal the only way to open some qt apps

Sometimes author do trickery with the library path so they can supply their own builds of Qt libraries with their app.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Yeah I was just wondering.

It funny one day you download and it works all in GUI. The next update is only works by ./application-qt

this is usually the case with blockchain wallets.

This can be configured when the Qt Compiles to right!

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    MacOS X

thanks for information

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    All programs can be started through the command line shell or the graphical shell.
    Neither shell really cares about the program it launches.

The programs themselves can have graphical UI, shell/text based UI or even no UI at all.

Running the latter two from a graphical shell either requires a terminal application to show their text output or the user will simply not see anything.

Cheers,
    _
    Thanks for the info. I'm a newbie programmer trying to understanding Qt programming. Your post gave me understanding about what programs works well in Qt.

Qt products
    Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks for your answers, it helped me