Quote Originally Posted by ForestDweller2 View Post
It's now beginning to make sense. I downloaded qt-opensource-windows-x86-5.11.2.exe to see if it too produced the same outcome and wow, this installer actually includes MSVC 2015 32 bit, MSVC 2015 64 bit, MSVC 2017 64 bit, and a host of other platform installs, (not sure why it is called qt-opensource-windows-x86-5.11.2.exe).
Probably to just differentiate between architectures, i.e. "normal Intel", not IA64, not ARM, etc.

And this also means that I am either stuck at Qt 5.8 or convert all of my applications that depend on webenginewidgets to some other widgets(?) or move to 64 bit with radically reduced hardware support.
You could check if the QtWebKit "forward port" can handle your needs and whether it is available in 32 bit
https://github.com/annulen/webkit/wiki

It seems that the direction (future) of Qt is 64 bit and it is time to just accept this.
This is unfortunately mostly a Google/Windows problem, i.e. Google not supporting this kind of build of the Blink Engine on Windows.
Also the reason QtWebEngine can't be built on Windows with other compiler than MSVC.

One option you could investigate is separating hardware access from UI.
E.g. running a headless program (child program or service) in 32bit mode for accessing the hardware and running the UI with 64 bit.

Cheers,
_