Thread: Easier access to Qt Documentation

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Easier access to Qt Documentation

Here is the itch I had to scratch: When coding in Qt, it takes a lot of scrolling and time to find the right classes on the All Classes page. There is of course the Main Classes page, but you might not agree with the Trolls on which classes are the "main" ones.

With this short program it is easy to make a small & relevant page:

1. The program takes one argument, the name of a directory where you keep source code for some big project.
    2. In that directory, all files with extention .cc .h and .cpp will be scanned for Qt classes.
    3. On stdout, the program will print a html page formatted just like Main Classes but with your classes instead.
    4. So direct the output to a file, say myclasses.html, in <Qt-installation-dir>/doc/html.
    5. edit <Qt-installation-dir>/doc/html/index.html Right after the first "middot", insert something like:
      Qt Code:
      1. <a href="myclasses.html"><font color="#004faf">Foobar's&nbsp;Classes</font></a>&nbsp;&middot;
      To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    6. Then, you can browse the docs with Qt Assistant or a web browser, as usual.

(Tested on Linux)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Easier access to Qt Documentation

Just wondering... Have you tried :
    1. The index search of Qt Assistant
    2. The search of Qt Assistant
    3. The bookmarks features in Qt Assistant

Maybe you did not need to write a program for this... Interesting proof of concept anyway. You may want to extend it by adding an Assistant file that would generate an entry in the index pointing to your custom documentation : http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/assista...umentation-set
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Easier access to Qt Documentation

No, I haven't tried those... I normally browse the documentation using a few tabs in Firefox as I always have a web browser running anyway and so can avoid cluttering the desktop with another app.
    I like Qt Assistant's font size-buttons though, and clutter is less of a problem when using virtual desktops properly.