Having had to replace a failing hard disk, I reinstalled Qt 5.13.0 on Windows 7 (from qt-opensource-windows-x86-5.13.0.exe), and installed VS 2017 Community. I am using a 32-bit kit: compiler MSVC 15.0 (x86), Qt version Qt 5.13.0 MSVC2017 32bit.
The basicshapes-cpp example fails with a great number of errors, starting like this:

QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Could not initialize EGL display: error 0x3001
QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: When using ANGLE, check if d3dcompiler_4x.dll is available
Attempted to use GDI functions with a non-opengl32.dll library
QWindowsGLContext::QWindowsGLContext: Unable find a suitable pixel format.
Qt3D.Renderer.Backend: void __thiscall Qt3DRender::Render::Renderer::initialize(void) OpenGL context creation failed
CommandThread: Failed to create local context
Qt3D.Renderer.Backend: bool __thiscall Qt3DRender::Render::GraphicsContext::makeCurrent(c lass QSurface *) makeCurrent failed
Qt3D.Renderer.Backend: bool __thiscall Qt3DRender::Render::GraphicsContext::makeCurrent(c lass QSurface *) makeCurrent failed

I'm guessing that the errors are a consequence of the subject of a popup when Qt Creator starts up, with the title "Plugin Loader Messages".
"The following plugins have errors and cannot be loaded:
QmlDesigner
QmlProfiler

Details:
Plugin initialization failed: Cannot create OpenGL context."

This seems to imply that the Qt installation from qt-opensource-windows-x86-5.13.0.exe is faulty. I chose the 32bit version because some other parts of my project are built 32bit, and to get 64bit capability will cost $. Does Qml require the 64bit Qt version? If not, what else could be the cause of this problem?

(I tried to force use of desktop OpenGL with this:
QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_UseDesktopOp enGL);
but that generated a different set of errors.)