Thread: How to build a search tool bar like Wireshark

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to build a search tool bar like Wireshark

Hi,

I know this is a broad question. If anyone is familiar with Wireshark, I was wondering how to build a search tool bar using that method.

What I would like is to build a query tool using a line editBox or something similar which as users type attribute names and a drop down list is is displayed which they can select from (kind of like a combobox). Next they would enter a value followed by a Boolean operator which concatenates multiple requests accordingly. The thing is the parsing of the input data appears to be calculated. Here is an example.

(ABC.agh > 3 && DEF.gju <= 245.0) OR mmn.kkjds != 100

So essentially as a user types AB, they get a drop down list such as ABC, ABD, ABL, etc. After they select "ABC.", they get a new list of attributes associated with ABC which in the above case is agf, etc. Once all is entered I need to parse across and evaluate the query.

I'm just wondering if there is a clever way of doing this may be not an lineEdit Widget, perhaps something different?

Any help would be appreciated? Could there is a library for this already?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to build a search tool bar like Wireshark

Could there is a library for this already?
    Check out QCompleter. It can at least handle the ABC -> ABCD ABCE ABDF... part. You may be able to combine that with a QValidator that uses regular expressions to ensure the search string is a valid Boolean expression.
    Last edited by d_stranz; 29th January 2020 at 01:42.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I'm very familiar with QCompleter but it may help with the search at least partially but how do I add new attributes as I go along in the equation? What is the best widget for this, lineEdit?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I was thinking about this some more. I downloaded the Wireshark source code and it looks like the UI is written using Qt. From what I can see there are two classes in the ui/qt directory which might implement the search feature you are talking about: capture_filter_edit.[h, cpp] and capture_filter_syntax_worker.[h, cpp]. The class CaptureFilterEdit is derived from SyntaxLineEdit, which is derived from QLineEdit. At the core is a QCompleter, which works off a QStringList model of tokens, along with a QThread that examines the text for syntax.

It's pretty complex code, but you might take a look to see if there is anything you can learn from it.
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I do have the Wireshark code but couldn't quite find where they did that functionality. Thanks for your help. I look through it and see if I can get ideas.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Check out the files I mentioned - they seem like a logical place for that functionality.