Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Passing some Unicode characters to Linux Qt applications

Hello

My configuration:
    - Debian 10 Buster, Qt 5.11.3 (from distribution packages), X11-based desktop.

I have a problem with Qt (probably with Qt) and I just don't know where to start looking for its culprit. First of all, I decided to make a small program in which I need to insert characters to other applications. Generally, the window is like on-screen keyboard and pressing a button will cause character being sent to currently open application.
    The code I have for this action is a known approach, XLib and Xtest to feed re-defined keycodes:

Qt Code:
    1. void MainWindow::push_char(char character)
    2. {
    3. Display * disp; //current X11 display
    4. disp=XOpenDisplay(nullptr); //TODO: fail gracefully when abused in console.
    5. KeySym * xkeysyms = nullptr;
    6. int temporaryKeyCode=0;
    7. int keycodes_start=0;
    8. int keycodes_end=0;
    9. int keysyms_per_keycode=0;
    10. XDisplayKeycodes(disp,&keycodes_start,&keycodes_end); //obtain keycode range for current display.
    11. xkeysyms=XGetKeyboardMapping(disp,keycodes_start,keycodes_end-keycodes_start,&keysyms_per_keycode); //get keysyms start-end
    13. for (int i=keycodes_start; i<=keycodes_end; i++) //Iterate through keycode list to obtain free one
    14. {
    15. bool empty_keycode=true;
    16. for (int j=0; j<keysyms_per_keycode; j++) //check all keysyms to be zero
    17. {
    18. int keysym_index = (i - keycodes_start) * keysyms_per_keycode + j; //obtain keysym position
    19. if(xkeysyms[keysym_index] != 0) //if the key is not empty...
    20. {
    21. empty_keycode=false; //nope... next one
    22. break;
    23. }
    24. }
    25. if (empty_keycode) //use this code for our character.
    26. {
    27. temporaryKeyCode=i;
    28. break;
    29. }
    30. }
    31. XFree(xkeysyms); //this finding and freeing must be done every time, not at the program boot-up,
    32. XFlush(disp); //as user may change X settings on the fly, including key tables.
    33. usleep(100*1000); //0.1 delay
    35. //Prepare for character send
    36. KeySym sym = XStringToKeysym("U01F92A"); //Uxxxx links unknown UTF char to key even when it's not in any definition. As in xkbcommon-keysyms.h
    37. // KeySym sym = XStringToKeysym("U0142"); //THIS WORKS., the above does not in all applications.
    39. if (sym == NoSymbol) //This should rarely happen.
    40. {
    41. sym=XStringToKeysym("x"); //have anything here or throw error.
    42. }
    44. KeySym symlist[2]={sym, sym}; //create a keysym list for shifted and unshifted chr
    45. XChangeKeyboardMapping(disp,temporaryKeyCode,2,symlist,1); //assign the list to the mapping
    46. XFlush(disp);
    47. KeyCode code=temporaryKeyCode; //create code out of temporary
    49. XTestFakeKeyEvent(disp, code, true, 0); //Press...
    50. XFlush(disp);
    51. usleep(90 * 1000);
    52. XTestFakeKeyEvent(disp, code, false, 0); //Release...
    53. XFlush(disp);
    55. symlist[0]=0;
    56. symlist[1]=0;
    57. XChangeKeyboardMapping(disp,temporaryKeyCode,2,symlist,1); //revert the mapping
    58. usleep(90 * 1000);
    60. XCloseDisplay(disp); //End routine
    61. return;
    62. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

In the code, I have two test lines for making a keysym of UTF character: First one makes it from "U0142", second is "U01F92A" (or U1F92A - an emoji which, at least in my system, shows a smiley).
    The routine (currently argument is not processed) works, but not for all characters and not for all applications. Things I observed:
    - When characters are like Uxxxx, 2 hex bytes after U, it's OK for all applications I tested: Based on GTK, Qt, Qt Creator itself too, WxWidgets and even an old ?Qt3-based? TDE.
    - When characters are longer, like Uxxxxxx - 3 hex bytes after U, it works for GTK, WxWidgets, TDE, but not Qt applications, even not in Qt Creator itself.

This is a strange behavior and for me it looks like there may be some problem with library configuration in my set-up?
    When instead of my code I use xdotool (xdotool type "?") I have a similar behavior, that's why I think about misconfiguration.

Thanks in advance.
    MW

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Passing some Unicode characters to Linux Qt applications

In the code you posted, I don't see any references to Qt at all, other than that this method is in a MainWindow class. Where is the Qt connection?
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

There are two things:
    1. I'm doing it from Qt application, but it has smaller meaning.
    2. It cannot insert character to any Qt5 application - even to itself. That's why I'm thinking about Qt misconfiguration.
    The last character I can pass, if U+FFFD, all bigger code points fail (I think the last is U+FFFF, but it's not character by standard).
    Last edited by PCXT; 28th October 2020 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Have your read the Qt documentation concerning Unicode? Your problem may be in how you are handling the characters either as input to QString or as output to a Qt-based widget for display.

There are references to "16-bit Unicode", which could be the problem.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

5. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

PCXT (28th October 2020)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks for the information about Unicode in Qt! I found that another, not related problem I had was caused by casting the characters wrong and now I can process these characters well inside my application (as QStrings), so I worked it around using X selection buffer (lower characters are typed as above, higher - copied through the buffer, good that I can stuff ctrl-ins there).

The problem seems to be not especially in my application's code (which currently is a single form and a button calling the routine), but it may be in Qt configuration in my system, as any X11 "keyboard-simulating" program doing it the similar way as shown in my first post cannot send higher Unicode characters specifically to Qt5-based applications (?or sends and Qt applications can't process them?), even to programs which are from repository, not compiled by me. That's why I suspect some define has been switched wrong during Qt build (I have Qt from Debian repository, so that's why I'm a bit dubious about its build configuration, I had a similar problem before with Qt4's QSerialPort).

So my short reproduction using Linux, xdotool and two applications: In the terminal:

sleep 1; xdotool type "?"

During one second of delay, I switch to another application.
    So, it types the smiley into Wx or GTK applications, but not into Qt5 applications, like Qt Creator.

But when I put a lower UTF character, let's try with the last one (replacement sign, U+FFFD):

sleep 1; xdotool type "?"

It is typed into application in both cases.

EDIT:
    P.S.
    OK, for some reason the emoji I pasted here got replaced with ?, so it may be here or in the forum. The first ? I put in xdotool was U+1F60A character, the second ? was U+FFFD character.
    Last edited by PCXT; 28th October 2020 at 22:01.