Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: QDevelop, a new IDE for Qt4

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QDevelop, a new IDE for Qt4

Just wanted to warn everyone : I've just tried compiling and running SVN HEAD and it nearly killed my computer : ctags (and this time not etags but the "real" ctags, version 5.6 freshly recompiled) was started, presumably to build completion db, and remained running (about 80% CPU time...) for a dozen of minutes, without any change (QDevelop still show me the hideous "try later on" dialog every time I type a dot...) and then the computer started hanging (top says : 98%wa)... I switched to the Konsole tab from which I was running QDevelop, pressed CTRL+C and everything went back to "normal". I dunno whether the code is regressing or QDevelop hates my computer but there seems to be something quite wrong about completion...
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

brokensword: I understand your idea. First I am not sure that all professional developments need all these debugging features. But since you ask the question, it would be useful for you.
    QDevelop will be never as much powerful than VS or Eclipse. A professionnal can buy MS and with it (and Qt commercial edition) can develop with the best IDE. How qdevelop can work better?
    QDevelop, an complete Integrated Development Environment for Qt 4: http://qdevelop.org

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

95% functionality of such IDEs as VS, Eclipse are useless. They are never used by 95% of developers (like 95% of MS Office Word features are also never used by 95% of users etc). But there are features in each product which are used by more then half of all users.

Source editing, compilation and debugging - these are 3 main and only needed features in any code development process.

Answering to your question directly - how to make QDeveloper better (as for me - as good as VS, Eclipse, SlickEdit) - add more debugging features (at least these I've described above).

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok. I will see if it's possible to add these features and how. I do not promise anything. Because the developpers of qdevelop have not much of time and are not many.
    QDevelop, an complete Integrated Development Environment for Qt 4: http://qdevelop.org

5. The following user says thank you to jlbrd for this useful post:

brokensword (17th September 2007)

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,
    The code completion was not a very good feature in qdevelop because the time to display the completion list was very too long. I worked these last days to improve the speed and the power of this feature. Now a database is built and contains all Qt classes and his functions. So when the completion is asked for a Qt class, the list is read in the database and increase the speed. For the classes of the project, the list is built by the reading in the classes browser which is always up to date. But if a class is a project class which inherit of a Qt class, the list is built with both.
    The database qdevelop.db is built the first time when it is empty. It is also possible to ask the build in the menu "Tools | Rebuild Qt classes" which will be needed when a new Qt library version will be installed.
    This build ask many seconds to be performed and during it is built, the completion is not available and the message "Try to complete code later" is displayed. It's not a very big problem because the database is built in a thread in background and it is launched only one time.
    If you are interested to test it, you can build the last svn version available at http://code.google.com/p/qdevelop/source
    I am very interested to have your feedbacks and especially what does not work.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Having that that, and continuing jlbrd words, I would like to remind that the SVN/trunk version is still being developed, and the code quality will depend on the revision you choose from, so don't use it on production systems (like the QDevelop team does!).

Having said that, we still appreciate user feedback on the development code. Giving us feedback about this version will result in a better product once it's released.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I'm using QDevelop 0.24 and is a quite good IDE for Qt4.

I found some issues and missings:
    - When I type "." or something like this into a comment, the auto-complete function is launched!? Why? hehehe
    - The auto-complete function take too much time to be displayed (argh! but it seems to be revised in future versions, that's nice!!)
    - An important (under my point of view) IDE function, the "code complete". If some of you used the Delphi IDE, will know the funcion "Ctrl + Shift + C"... the basic function is: "I write the definition into the ".h" then I press the key combination and the implementation is auto-created into the ".cpp".
    - The "Sync edit mode" is so usefull! To understand what it is, take a look to this link.

The spanish language have some mistakes hehe... If I have time, I'll try to fix them!

Best regards and nice Qt4 IDE!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by xEsk View Post
    - The "Sync edit mode" is so usefull! To understand what it is, take a look to this link.

The spanish language have some mistakes hehe... If I have time, I'll try to fix them!

Best regards and nice Qt4 IDE!
    Sync edit mode can be done, if QTextEdit provides a sane and easy way to handle multiple selections. I assume it can be done, but it's not that simple.

Spansish translations wrong? Send them to one of the persons in the about box, and he will be able to commit this for you. This should not be a big problem.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I am quite new to linux and qt4, checked some IDEs. And have to say that QDevelop is really good! It has good user interface, debugging support, nice coding aids functions(automated new class generation, automated methods addition, etc), and more.

Keep going QDevelop developers!

Regards,
    Kestas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Exclamation Re: QDevelop, a new IDE for Qt4

Hello everyone ! I've been using QDevelop on Windows and I find it quite good. Though debug didn't work for me.

But now I try to use it on Mac OS X. When I create a blank project or try to compile the old one I get error:
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Please Help
    C++ & AMD forever

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by THRESHE View Post
    Hello everyone ! I've been using QDevelop on Windows and I find it quite good. Though debug didn't work for me.

But now I try to use it on Mac OS X. When I create a blank project or try to compile the old one I get error:
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Please Help
    check if correct qmake-qt4 location is defined in qdevelop settings.

Also i found that on qdevelop's svn new version(0.25) is available, which has improved funcionallity, and works stable, at least for me. I found it more convenient than eclipse with qt plugin or KDevelop(which is good too, but I can't get automatic code completion working).
    Last edited by saugumas; 21st November 2007 at 21:09.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

it would be great to have ability to create/edit templates in QDevelop

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by saugumas View Post
    it would be great to have ability to create/edit templates in QDevelop
    Can you expand that wish? what kind of templates? can you design an exact wish list? maybe for 0.26

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco View Post
    Can you expand that wish? what kind of templates? can you design an exact wish list? maybe for 0.26
    Ok, I will compare other IDEs and will try to compose exact wishlist, but maybe on weekend, these days I am pretty busy at university..

Thanks,
    Kestas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: QDevelop, a new IDE for Qt4

I have to say, I have tried quite a few different Qt4 IDE's, and I keep coming back to QDevelop. My only wish for QDevelop is to have collapsable braces. I saw in the Enhancements section, it's called Code Folding. I hope it gets in soon.
    fnmblot
    --------------------------------------
    Gee Ricky, I'm sorry your mom blew up.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi
    I have question regarding QDevelop.
    The QDevelop ignores the brake points. It does call gdb, but somehow it does not pas to it brake points. By the way everything was working fine until yesterday. Then I was playing with environmental variables, within QDevelop, so maybe I did something wrong, which means the solution should be more less trivial.
    Anyone knows what is the problem?
    I am using OpenSuse 10.3 (KDE) with latest version of QDevelop
    Last edited by Stojan; 10th April 2008 at 17:08.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I've downloaded the latest binaries of v0.25.
    I created a new project, left all the defaults except subclassed a main windows rather than dialog.
    Then when I try to build the created project without modification I get "mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target `build\ui_dialog.h', needed by `bin\Test2.exe'. Stop."

Any idea what's going on here? I would have thought a default project would at least build correctly.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Update your Qt version, 4.3.4 should fix this problem.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Give the version control package called "Baazar" a try. I think you'll like it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Re: QDevelop, a new IDE for Qt4

Is work on QDevelop still going on? I haven't heard/seen a new version since 0.25.
    fnmblot
    --------------------------------------
    Gee Ricky, I'm sorry your mom blew up.