Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qt 4.3.0 lots of Bugs!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Qt 4.3.0 lots of Bugs!

Talking to me about arrogance when you are walking in here telling me that my code is wrong without even seeing my code? Then making assumptions on what kind of C++ Guru I am without ever meeting me before or reviewing tons of my code? Who's the arrogant know-it-all conclusion-jumper here?? Only you...

I used correct code, I didn't randomly type code that I pulled out of thin air, I look at examples in Qt and I use the documentation very well, so stop jumping to these silly childish conclusions that I'm arrogant or this or that, or that I'm just not good at C++ and other mean and disrespectful assumptions. I have not shown any of you any disrespect, and I've had about 200 posts, where I never claimed this was 100% a Qt bug, and I never even posted on TaskTracker before, and I always ask here first if I have a problem before I assume the worst, or else I wouldn't have made this silly thread which has had 0 results and full of nasty comments blaming me for bugs in Qt.

Now I have kept my attitude quite clean without resorting to disrespectful words such as "rude" "arrogant" or other insults that is quite childish.

I did provide reproduced bug, so you can stop typing your arrogant post and actually READ MY POSTS with an 8th grade comprehension level at least.

It seems like you guys are more interested in blaming me and acting like Qt is infallible rather than looking at this with an open mind that Qt may actually have bugs. I may not be a Qt Guru, but dont you dare make assumptions about my C++ skills since you truly do not know what my experience is. I used proper code that any logical person would think up by reading documents, examples, and asking on these forums, if my code is wrong, then so is half the people on this forum since I have had help from them for many things.

I have seen quite a few versions of Qt, and never has there been this many bugs that I can easily spot, and don't tell me the difference between a QT BUG and a bug that appears to be a Qt bug but is actually my own mistake, I've had plenty experience with both. I'm not some Qt coder that just started yesterday, I know the differences. I don't come on this forum and talk about Qt bugs unless I have exhausted every other option. I understand that 4.x.z, when z is rising there is usually less bugs, when x is rising there is usually more bugs because of new features and usual 'recoding' of old features. All I am doing as a duty is talking about these bugs and reporting them and confirming them, as any Qt programmer would.

Up to this point I have kept my tone quite mature, and attitude quite openminded, I have not blamed anyone except I have said that these are Qt bugs that could have been fixed in beta, and 4.2.3 worked and therefore why ruin 4.3.0? This is merely a calm suggestion not the exaggeration you are coughing out now. Stop demonizing me and my attitude it doesn't help anyone except make hate. If you truly believe it's not a bug, prove it by fixing it with my reproducable code, if you can't reproduce it, that's not my problem, but it does happen in my current state and if you can't reproduce the environment, doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist. Now stop blaming me, and instead fix the bug if you think I am THIS WRONG, instead of ranting.

From the start of this thread I have been treated as some "jumping-to-conclusions" "arrogant" and insistant newbie at Qt, because you see so many in your experience, but I am not making up these bugs i am truly right about them, as you can see no one can find a valid solution for them. I came here to confirm that you cannot find a valid solution for them, since I already tried every possible solution for many hours before I came here. If it was my mistake, I'm sure this thread would have ended in page 1.

Back on topic to Wysota's question:
    background-image doesn't work well, not because of bugs, but because I have multiple push buttons with border-image etc, which override background-image and mess up my buttons. Also if you do pushbutton { background-image } it doesn't work for me, turns out a white plain button.
    Last edited by VireX; 12th June 2007 at 20:02.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Your reaction in this post is totally out of proportion, IMHO.

Man.... chill out will you?
    I was not putting you down (nietehr did anyone else here), I (and few others) was trying to tell you how at least to some of us, your text looks like, and that your attidude is counter productive - to you.
    , I didn't randomly type code that I pulled out of thin air, I look at examples in Qt and I use the documentation very well
    Thats is still no a guarantee for a bug free code.
    And niether did the tolls (randomally type code out of thin air).
    so stop jumping to these silly childish conclusions
    your code was found faluty in previous posts on this thread, which actually should not have been based on what you say.
    These are no conculsions, these are facts.
    In addition, as wysota used your code and did not manage to reproduce at least one of your "bugs".
    That alone dismisses it as a Qt bug. (see I did read your posts).
    You claim that you explained the bug, and that no one here trys to reproduce it, but you fail your self to submit such code.
    Is it really so hard for you to accept, that the only way this can be verfied as bug is buy reproducing it?
    And is it so hard to accept, that peole will not sit and try to feadle with code and reproduce what you claim is a bug, whic you your self can't reproduce??
    Ofcourse, the fact your code if faulty, does not mean you are wrong, but if we need to take guess about it, we would first think that your code is the problem and not Qt - which is why every one here is so eager to first make sure YOUR code is ok.
    I do the same thing with my own code,and I stumbled on "real bugs" in Qt VERY seldom, which is why most here tend to think, that before claiming bug, your code should thoroughly br examined - its nothing personal, and you should not take so either.

As I said, if you think there is a bug, just post a bug report (as you meanwhile did).
    End of story.
    What is this this whole blame game good for?

but I am not making up these bugs i am truly right about them, as you can see no one can find a valid solution for them
    That is because no one is able to reproduce them.

if you can't reproduce it, that's not my problem
    Most probably it is, which is what you fail to understand.

Peace V
    Last edited by high_flyer; 12th June 2007 at 21:03.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by VireX View Post
    I used correct code,
    Ok, let's assume we believe you and your code is correct and you're a great programmer who can write bugless code and complains about buggy Qt code. I suggest you just subclass QPushButton and reimplement the code responsible for causing the malfunction. You can probably also reimplement the sorting proxy code - there is probably one line of code which is incorrect. Finding that for a person with your skills should be a snap. You might also want to dig into Qt source code yourself and repair what has been broken by those jerky lame Trolls. Then you can send a patch to them and I'm sure they'll evaluate it and include in the next release. Hey, maybe they'll even hire you!

so stop jumping to these silly childish conclusions that I'm arrogant or this or that,
    So stop behaving arrogant. For me one of the most arrogant things a programmer could say is that he doesn't make mistakes in his code. I have already found some in code you provided few posts earlier.

or that I'm just not good at C++ and other mean and disrespectful assumptions.
    Nobody said anything about your C++ skills.

where I never claimed this was 100% a Qt bug,
    Now you have You found (well, maybe that's not the best word for it, because you don't know where they are) about 10 bugs in Qt which gives an average of 1 bug per 20 posts. Not bad... I have found several bugs myself but my "bug per post" statistics are not so impressive.

which has had 0 results and full of nasty comments blaming me for bugs in Qt.
    Nobody is blaming you for anything.

I did provide reproduced bug,
    I can't reproduce your bug with border-image.

It seems like you guys are more interested in blaming me and acting like Qt is infallible rather than looking at this with an open mind that Qt may actually have bugs.
    But we agree that Qt contains bugs. We're just not eagar to call every unexpected behaviour a bug.

I used proper code that any logical person would think up by reading documents,
    We haven't seen your code in action and I don't think we're making any assumptions about it.

if my code is wrong, then so is half the people on this forum since I have had help from them for many things.
    We don't say you can't write proper code, we only say to try to verify your code first before taking on 3rd party code.

I have seen quite a few versions of Qt, and never has there been this many bugs that I can easily spot
    Obviously you haven't seen Qt 4.0.0 and 4.0.1

All I am doing as a duty is talking about these bugs and reporting them and confirming them, as any Qt programmer would.
    Let's summarize:
    1. we agree that there is a problem with sorting the table containing cell widgets
    2. we couldn't reproduce your border-image problem

Ad. 2. - I've been thinking a bit about it and came to a conclusion that your widget might have slightly different dimensions that you think and that is causing the distortion you're experiencing. You are using border-image in a wrong way - it was not meant for things you're using it for. You should use a custom style or background-image tag.

Back on topic to Wysota's question:
    background-image doesn't work well, not because of bugs, but because I have multiple push buttons with border-image etc, which override background-image and mess up my buttons.
    You are using both border-image and background-image at once? What for?

Also if you do pushbutton { background-image } it doesn't work for me, turns out a white plain button.
    Could you provide a minimal compilable example reproducing the problem?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok ok, to settle your arguments, let me explain.

@high_flyer,
    I reproduced the bug using sample code and posted it here, if you cannot reproduce it even though it happens in my computers, I'm not blaming you for not being able to code, I'm just saying you failed to set up the current environment with which i cannot help you with.
    -Nobody found any mistake in my code, as this Qt task tracker can explain that this is a bug , and I submitted new code based off of Jacek's correction (which in fact did not correct the problem): http://trolltech.com/developer/task-...ntry&id=166714
    -Anyone with my environment and my code can reproduce the bug with the code I gave them, including many of my friends. As wysota himself said he used RC1, which may not have the distortion in it.
    -People can reproduce these bugs, and cannot find a solution, as we are not going to change the Qt source code on how it renders border-image, and dont feel it is necessary to override sortItems function.

@wysota:
    I am not behaving arrogant, I never said my code is always perfect, but in this case it is not my code that is causing the problems, as you can see yourself, the code I used was pretty much OK aside from the fact of "setFixedSize" instead of the QtDesigner code "setMinimumSize and setMaximumSize".
    -you can't reproduce my bug, because you are not using Windows XP with mingw and 4.3.0... Doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist, or that 10 other people can't reproduce it.
    -you have seen my code in action.
    -yes i haven't seen 4.0.0.0, sorry, I wasn't around back then, but for 3-4 versions 4.3.0 seems to have the most bugs.

1. we agree the bug is in cellWidgets, as expressed by http://trolltech.com/developer/task-...ntry&id=166714
    2. We agree there is a border-image problem, since a couple people have reproduced it, and you're right as a Qt Developer himself told me in email that I should not use border-image for that purpose anymore as of 4.3.0, even though it was in the QtStylesheet example program, and instead I should use background-image, which I told you doesn't work, and Qt developer explained that you have to use background image like so or my image wont appear!!!:
    background-image: url(test.png);
    border: none;
    I didn't know about border:none;

So that explains the border-image bug as well, they just fixed it so border-image doesn't fill content anymore, and its true, but it would have been helpful to know about border:none; before hand.

Only problem now is my images repeat rather than stretch, border-image in Qt 4.2.3 was best, I dont know why it needed a difference as this... border-image you would put on any widget and it would stretch it and fit itself appropriately now I have to use background-image and background-image just repeats the image it doesn't stretch, so now i got buttons that like like this: [ ] [ ] [ ] instead of [_______]
    Last edited by VireX; 12th June 2007 at 21:50.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

but in this case it is not my code that is causing the problems, as you can see yourself,
    The problem is I can't see it for myself because you didn't provide the code that reproduces the problem.

the code I used was pretty much OK aside from the fact of "setFixedSize" instead of the QtDesigner code "setMinimumSize and setMaximumSize".
    No, it wasn't

-you can't reproduce my bug, because you are not using Windows XP with mingw and 4.3.0
    Oh come on! Your blaming compiler differences for such things? Don't be silly, I'm using the exactly same compiler, only on a different operating system. Compiler won't suddenly start causing distortions in images, especially if it didn't cause them before.

... Doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist, or that 10 other people can't reproduce it.
    So far nobody said he/she reproduced it.

-you have seen my code in action.
    No, I haven't. The code you provided is not the one that generated those images. And you have seen your (and my) code in action as well and it works exactly the same under 4.2 and 4.3 - it stretches the image in both of these versions.

yes i haven't seen 4.0.0.0, sorry, I wasn't around back then, but for 3-4 versions 4.3.0 seems to have the most bugs.
    4.3.0 - 190 bugs found
    4.3rc1 - 118 bugs found
    4.2.3 - 305 bugs found
    4.2.2 - 648 bugs found
    4.2.1 - 324 bugs found
    4.2.0 - 354 bugs found
    4.1.5 - 18 bugs found
    4.1.4 - 313 bugs found
    4.1.3 - 294 bugs found
    4.1.2 - 306 bugs found
    4.1.1 - 283 bugs found
    4.1.0 - 577 bugs found
    4.0.1 - 637 bugs found
    4.0.0 - 436 bugs found

Care to comment?

By the way, please note how it agrees with what was already said - the lower the revision number, the more bugs found. You said you agree with that statement but now you say 4.3.0 has the most bugs since 3-4 releases (so since circa 4.2.1) - of course it will have the most bugs found! It has the lowest possible revision number! But compared to other "0" revisions, it looks pretty good.

2. We agree there is a border-image problem, since a couple people have reproduced it,
    The problem is you are using it incorrectly...

and you're right as a Qt Developer himself told me in email that I should not use border-image for that purpose anymore as of 4.3.0, even though it was in the QtStylesheet example program,
    Yes! That's what we're trying to tell you since the very beginning - you were relying on an incorrectly implemented feature and now that it has been corrected your code that is using it started malfunctioning.

and instead I should use background-image, which I told you doesn't work,
    Sure it works. You just didn't know how to use it. Qt documentation about style sheets is still immature and it's mentioned a couple of times in different resources.

I didn't know about border:none;
    So you admit your code was not correct? (I start sounding like Jacek)

So that explains the border-image bug as well, they just fixed it so border-image doesn't fill content anymore, and its true, but it would have been helpful to know about border:none; before hand.
    Sure it would. So after all there is no border-image and no background-image bug, right?

Only problem now is my images repeat rather than stretch,
    Did you tell them to stretch using background-repeat or simmilar?

border-image in Qt 4.2.3 was best, I dont know why it needed a difference as this...
    Because it was not working the way it should. It should work according to what CSS says and not according to your or Trolltech liking. That's what is called following the standard.

border-image you would put on any widget and it would stretch it and fit itself appropriately
    Border image is for providing borders made from images, not providing background made from images.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

But background-image is still bugged, I programmed in CSS for years before getting into programming, they dont use border:none; to display the image, this is indeed an odd feature of trolltech not a standard of CSS.

Now I have no way to stretch the image so that it looks like border-image in 4.2.3.
    Since border-image was used in 4.2.3 I assumed my code was correct, and indeed it was correct for 4.2.3, this still is not my faulty code, because they suddenly changed it in 4.3.0 without any warnings.

4.3.0 has the least bugs because its only like 12 days old, what did you expect? Wait about a month and you'll see it will surpass all the previous versions.

I was not using border-image incorrectly according to Qt and Trolltech at v4.3.0, I was using it incorrectly according to CSS standard yes, but since it worked in 4.2.3, I decided to stick with it, no one said "we're changing border-image in 4.3.0 so you're gonna have to remove many of your border-image and replace with background-image". In fact Stylesheet example still uses border-image, so stop saying I have incorrect code.

I am not blaming compiler differences, I'm blaming environment differences. That code has reproduced the pixelation bug in several people's Qt compilers. Not yours because you have a DIFFERENT VERSION OF QT and a DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM, how can you possibly say that Qt reacts exactly the same in all situations. Use my environment, since your profile says you do have Windows XP, meaning you probably can replicate my bug. Till then, dont argue with me, until you proven me wrong about the bug. I'm not here lying to you, I didn't produce that image out of thin air, I am not a liar as you claim.

It's like you're afraid to admit that border-image is rendered differently between 4.2.3 and 4.3.0, just try it in my environment, and you will see you are wrong.

"OK aside from the fact of "setFixedSize" instead of the QtDesigner code "setMinimumSize and setMaximumSize"." ---- "No it wasn't"
    NO, it was, you said "oh btw i fixed your code" and thats all you changed. The code is fine, it works fine in 4.2.3, it renders border-image differently in 4.3.0 because of standardization. Simple logic man.

So what would be your solution to [ ] to [___________] for a big button? Because background-image doesn't stretch accordingly to the size of the button.
    Last edited by VireX; 13th June 2007 at 00:52.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Looks like this thread has stopped being about the identifying/solving bugs (if it ever was) and has turned into an issue of
    (a) whether or not Qt 4.3.0 is really buggy
    (b) whether or not VireX is a competant programmer, and is being treated fairly

Its good entertainment, but I think most would agree that nothing is contructive is likely to come. If these are important bugs, others will I'm sure post them in a more constructive and respectful manner, giving due appreciation for the volunteers who contribute their time to make this site a reliable source for good Qt help.

For example, macbeth recently asked a question about a possible clipping problem in 4.3.0, and provided a very helpful test program... it will, I'm sure, lead to a constructive solution.

JM

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

But background-image is still bugged
    It's not bugged. I could agree that it's not very mature, but certainly not bugged. At least not based on what you have just written.

I programmed in CSS for years before getting into programming, they dont use border:none; to display the image, this is indeed an odd feature of trolltech not a standard of CSS.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most cases "none" is a default value for "border" property in CSS. Qt behaves differently than CSS for HTML, because it handles something quite different so you can't expect everything to work exactly the same. This is relatively new technology and it's probably the only toolkit supporting such an approach. It has to take some time to make every aspect work. I could point many much more annoying "features" in QSS than the necessity to use border: none;

Now I have no way to stretch the image so that it looks like border-image in 4.2.3.
    Why do you want to stretch an image for a fixed size button?

Since border-image was used in 4.2.3 I assumed my code was correct
    Yes, we know you did. That's what we told you at the very beginning.

and indeed it was correct for 4.2.3
    No, it was just working. If I do:
    Qt Code:
    1. QString str = "xxx";
    2. char *ptr = str.toByteArray().data();
    3. printf("%s\n", ptr);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    it will work, but it won't be correct. It makes use of an unreliable assumption that nothing will overwrite the memory containing the char * data between two last lines of the above code. But if something DOES overwrite it (for example when using threads or having many very busy processes or just having bad luck), it will break.

this still is not my faulty code, because they suddenly changed it in 4.3.0 without any warnings.
    I'm almost sure the changelog lists that "border-image" has been fixed. Would you expect a big message "Hey all you people who use border-image in an incorrect way - you code might break in 4.3 because we fixed that nasty bug in border-image causing blablabla..."?

4.3.0 has the least bugs because its only like 12 days old, what did you expect?
    I expected you to bring up that argument and you did Most bugs are reported at the very beginning, that's one thing and the other is that the number of reported bugs should be calculated relatively to amount of new code in the product in question. That's why "0" revisions have the most bugs - they introduce the most new features. I don't expect Qt 4.3 to be in any way different from 4.2.2, 4.2.0 and 4.1.0 - they all introduced new features and they have the most bugs. But I doubt 4.3.0 will have more bugs reported than 4.2.2

Wait about a month and you'll see it will surpass all the previous versions.
    I'm pretty sure it won't, especially that summer holidays are coming and people won't write as much code as during the rest of the year thus they will not be reporting problems. I also assume Trolltech will want to release a new (fixed) version of Qt before DevDays, so some of the bugs will be discovered in 4.3.1 or later.

I was not using border-image incorrectly according to Qt and Trolltech at v4.3.0
    You were using it incorrectly. The property is to supply borders and scalable centre and that's exactly what it does.

I was using it incorrectly according to CSS standard yes, but since it worked in 4.2.3, I decided to stick with it, no one said "we're changing border-image in 4.3.0 so you're gonna have to remove many of your border-image and replace with background-image".
    True. And no one said "don't use QPrinter to bake muffins". Why would anyone have to warn you about using code that simply doesn't fit to what you do?

In fact Stylesheet example still uses border-image, so stop saying I have incorrect code.
    You have incorrect code and the stylesheet example is old and buggy. It will be replaced with a new one - Trolls are already working on that. And hey! somehow I know about it even though I didn't cry "Stylesheet example is buggy!". Trolltech has some channels of communication with its clients and users. If you don't use them, don't blame Trolls for that.

I am not blaming compiler differences, I'm blaming environment differences.
    Like what differences?

That code has reproduced the pixelation bug in several people's Qt compilers. Not yours because you have a DIFFERENT VERSION OF QT
    Nope

and a DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM
    So? You think there are any platform dependent issues involved in border-image?
    Take a look at src/gui/styles/qstylesheetstyle.cpp at methods cutBorderImage() and drawBorderImage() and tell me which parts of code may be influenced by the operating system or the compiler or any other "environment" difference. The only thing that might be influencing my system is that my version of Qt could have been patched before being packaged. But I don't think this is the case.

The only thing that might have influence is the one I tried to explained a few posts before.

how can you possibly say that Qt reacts exactly the same in all situations.
    Because I read its source code when I want to learn how it works

Use my environment, since your profile says you do have Windows XP,
    No, my profile doesn't say anything about Windows XP. It says "Windows", not "Windows XP".

Till then, dont argue with me, until you proven me wrong about the bug.
    But there is no bug... I thought we agreed to that You were using border-image incorrectly.

I am not a liar as you claim.
    Hmm... where do I claim such things?

It's like you're afraid to admit that border-image is rendered differently between 4.2.3 and 4.3.0
    I admit, border-image may be rendered differently in 4.2 and 4.3. But it's not a bug in 4.3 but in 4.2.

NO, it was, you said "oh btw i fixed your code" and thats all you changed.
    No, you were using a dialog that contained the widget. Do you see that in my code?

The code is fine, it works fine in 4.2.3,
    Please understand - if something works, it does not automatically mean "it's fine".

So what would be your solution to [ ] to [___________] for a big button? Because background-image doesn't stretch accordingly to the size of the button.
    In general it depends what the button looks like. I'd probably use border-image with a nice scalable or repeatable centre part or a gradient using brand new Qt 4.3 features. The image you used in your example won't work, because it neither scales nor repeats itself. If I were to use such a complicated shape, I'd implement my own style and/or draw it using QPainter.

BTW. Thanks for a great flame war... eeem... discussion. I already feel fresh blood flowing through my veins.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I'm not here lying to you, I didn't produce that image out of thin air, I am not a liar as you claim.
    You are first to use that word here. There's really no reason for being so emotional about few bugs.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

There's no reason to assume I have incorrect code and argue semantics, when my code follows the documents and examples produced by Qt themselves.

And you implied I was lying when you kept saying "you cant reproduce the bug" etc. Anyone with the code I posted can reproduce the border-image BUG. It is a bug, because it's a bad way to render border-image. It worked better in 4.2.3, and if anyone argues otherwise, then I can counter-argue by saying we don't need border:none; for background-image since thats not a CSS standard either. Why does Qt even need to standardize to CSS? I would want a better type of type like : stretch-image: or something, something I can use as in 4.2.3.

You're telling me now I have to do 10x more work to get the same thing, such as overriding styles etc... Really silly stuff.

You also say "why do you need stretching for one fixed button?" no I have hundreds of buttons that are all different shapes and sizes, and border-image is the only way to do it. Now I can't fix my skin, what would you do? And please don't tell me a complex solution as "overriding this or that" without some sort of example code, because I feel that is unnecessary to go from one line of CSS code to 30 lines of C++.

I'm glad I got your blood flowing, maybe it helps your blood pressure a bit and brings fresh life into your organs .

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I rest my case. Do what you want... I have better things to do than to convince you that a fix is not a bug. I'm not telling you anything, you don't have to do anything. You can keep crying your code needs changes. If you're willing to pay for it, I'm sure someone will correct the code for you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

And I rest my case...
    I came here for help, I told you my theory that it's a bug, you told me it was not a bug but instead my faulty coding, then I showed you the reproducable code, you told me I was using it wrong, when it works in 4.2.3, and explaining to me what a fix is etc, when I know what you're talking about, I know they recoded it to what "they see is best", but I dont care, I don't think any Qt developer would want border-image changed from 4.2.3's nice stretchy images, to 4.3.0's crappy literal border-images. background-image is not sufficient for the job, neither is any other CSS feature. by disabling border-image's uniqueness, you're just taking away features rather than standardizing. Standardizing doesn't mean you should downgrade so that you can fit OLD CSS's standardization.

I showed you reproducable code, and you replied saying you can't reproduce it, since you have a different version and different environment. Well the point is, I can reproduce it, if I can reproduce it, and everyone can see it, the bug does exist. Example I once had a program that would work in Windows XP, and not work well in Windows 98 and ME, I couldn't figure out why, then I finally found out that the packer I was using disabled support for 98/ME, but there was only one guy complaining about it out of 1000s ? So does that mean the bug didn't exist, that it was just "that guys problem"?

I am not trying to trick you here, or find bugs that don't exist, or show you fake screenshots. The bug is real. Once I have proven that, now you said, it's not a bug, it's a fix. Ok fixes mean BETTER not WORSE. I don't care what you're standardizing to, if a fix makes an OK feature worse, in other words, disadvantage rather than advantage, then why bother fixing it as such?

That's like saying to a guy "hey i invented the machine gun", and someone going "no, the single rifle is the standard to the army, we can't just switch to this machine gun, it would ruin warfare, and its expensive, and bulky, and it just wont work well with our army, you should downgrade and standardize to us."... And in fact generals did say this when the machine gun first came out. Guess what, that standardization rule was overruled and machine guns were used.

The point is, I don't care if its a fix or a bug, but to me, it's a bug because it has a negative effect rather than a positive one. You tell me, that my code is wrong, because I use border-image on something that isn't a border, Ok maybe you're right, but you offer no alternative situation, you mentioned background-image, well background-image is WEAK and doesn't work. You mentioned something like Style this or that, or override this or that, well why would I spend hours trying to get this to work, when it was so easy in 4.2.3, I think it's more advantegous to downgrade to 4.2.3 then.

Put yourself in my shoes for once, I have spent hours trying to figure out a way around this, there is no way, and it's all because some Qt developer though "hey well let's standardize so that our features are worse but at least it can follow CSS guidelines now"... They never offered a solution for this problem. No one has, offered a simple solution to this. Well I guess the only excuse now is "why would you want to make oval buttons?".

The point of fixes is to become better, the point of criticism of bugs is to fix the bugs and make better features. This happens everywhere. And even If I say "ok, forget it, 4.3.0 has a better border-image feature", someone else will come and argue otherwise, who has the same situation.

I have no clue why you cant reproduce the bug, but it exists, and the Qt developer can reproduce it, so obviously you have some fault here too.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I know I shouldn't, but here goes...
    And I rest my case...
    A case without evidence is no case. (if we are using the court of law language)
    I came here for help, I told you my theory that it's a bug,
    Well this sentence sums up your problem.
    What help did you expect if the bug is indeed in Qt?
    Only the trolls can help with that.
    So as said here many times already, just fill a bug report, and go happy about your way, no need to get so worked up about it.

And you are correct - you came with a theory about a bug.
    Bugs are like a crime, and the author is innocent until proved guilty.
    Theory proves nothing.
    And there is only one way to prove a bug, and that is by reproducing it.
    And just like in criminal law, the burden of proof lies on the side of the complainant - in this case you.
    The evidence is the code that YOU have to supply that when we (or any one else) runs it, the bug will be visible.
    You failed to do that (the ones who did run your code didn't experience any bugs), and even the code you did supply, was practically "squeezed" out of you, not before the 9th!!! post - which actually should have been supplied by you in the first post!
    It really doesn't matter why the bug is not reproduced by us, the fact it is not, is what is important. (assuming we are using the said Qt version of course).

if a fix makes an OK feature worse, in other words, disadvantage rather than advantage, then why bother fixing it as such?
    Let me put it this way:
    What you used at first was a bug, that you used as a feature.
    When the bug was fixed, the code relying on the bug stopped working.
    You saw it as an advantage, by misusing a bug.
    But that does not make the (original) bug a feature, even if you managed to use it in a (to you) helpful way.
    The fact you actually managed to use bug as a feature, (as was told to you by the trolls ) was a misuse of the code, and is probably due to you misunderstanding the way it should actually work, as it does after the fix.

Put yourself in my shoes for once
    We were and will be in your shoes many times.
    Each time we have code that does not do what we expect, there is a little thought behind the head that says - "it must be a Qt bug".
    But as I said in my previous posts, a careful examination of our own code usually reveals it is our mistake not Qt's.
    So we all know exactly what you are going through.

so obviously you have some fault here too.
    Obviously.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If you want specific help, ask specific questions. If you want help with specific buttons, ask questions about specific buttons, providing mockups if possible. We won't be guessing what kind of buttons you have in your application. I gave you a general answer for a general question - you didn't like it and that's your choice.

About what you have written above - you didn't say any theories, you just expressed accusations. I won't comment the rest, I don't see a point in starting the discussion all over again. Just please don't be so certain everybody else thinks the same you think or writes code the same way you do. I can understand the current behaviour is not what you expect, but don't assume everybody else is using border-image for the things you're using it. In particular I want border-image to work as it should and have some other tag or property or whatever that does something else (I'm sure it's just a matter of time before "stretch" is added to background-repeat or some simmilar tag).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

There is no way, that anyone who uses Qt 4.3.0, and my code, and my image, cannot reproduce the bug. There is just no way code can randomly create bugs in my computer and not do it in yours, as you said "how does operating system make a difference?" So then why do I get it and you don't. If I get it, at least 1000 other Qt programmers get it as well simple as that.

Qt Stylesheet example is written that way, granted it's old code, but I'm sure a 1000 other people used border-image the way i used it, by simply looking at a Qt example. By removing the "bug" and fixing it so that it doesn't stretch properly anymore, then you're saying that it's ok to upset 1000 coders to satisfy another 1000 coders who use border-image the correct way, without making an extra feature to make both the 1000 coders happy.

I told you specifics, but I can't make a list of my buttons and their sizes, all I can tell you is they are different widths, and the only way to add an image to a button without knowing its size so that it automatically stretches, is to use border-image. I have not seen a specific example of this done anywhere except in Qt Stylesheet example, so I ask now, if it's a feature no one uses, then how do people skin buttons? You can't skin buttons without a border-image feature that stretches images for you.

This means any developer that switches to 4.3.0, that has skin buttons has to now find some way to fix it, and this "way" is undocumented and not taught to anyone.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If you use border-image the proper way (i.e. with proper images), you'll get a proper result. And if you don't want to tell more about your buttons, I'm sorry but I won't be able to help you, I'm not a seer.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

When you make a program with 1000s of lines of code, and then switch to 4.3.0 to find half your code broken, anyone with a brain would consider this a bug in 4.3.0 not a bug in 4.2.3. If it worked by chance, why would they need to fix it?
    I do not know the new CSS stuff, so I cannot comment on this bug. But I can recount numerous instances where a new release of a library revealed bugs that I myself created. To assume that all bugs come from someone else is very egotistical.

Just this week I discovered two bugs when rebuilding an application with 4.3.0. One bug was Trolltech's, and I logged it. But the other bug was definitely mine. I was making an erroneous assumption regarding 4.2.3 behavior.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    ...And no one said "don't use QPrinter to bake muffins"...
    This thread has been dramatic, entertaining and somewhat educational, but for some reason that line just killed me.

19. The following 2 users say thank you to Jimmy2775 for this useful post:

Gopala Krishna (13th June 2007), jpn (13th June 2007)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hey maybe the image is bad

Thanks everyone for the thread. I'm going to use images for a resizable button in a product soon and I can make sure I use the 4.3.0 approach.

I love that line too Jimmy . Wysota can I use as my sig?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by croland View Post
    Wysota can I use as my sig?
    Sure. I can give it into public domain