Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: [DevQt] General discussion

Hi,

I get the following error message when I try to checkout the latest DevQt
    svn checkout http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/devqt/trunk
    svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/repos/devqt/!svn/vcc/default'
    svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/repos/devqt/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request (http://svn.berlios.de)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I can understand how Qt4Ds was missed since I have looked recently for good IDEs on Windows but did not find Qt4Ds (now I used Bloodshed DevC++)

I have tested the Qt4Ds - after seing it on this thread and I think it looks good but it is definitely a Beta release. I still have not tested the latest version of DevQt (since I can't get the svn to checkout and wwwCVS/SVN to get a file at a time is not an option) but at least DevQt can open up my .pro file without problems.

However both do look promising - we'll see who wins the race
    Too bad though that Qt4Ds forum was in French that is discouraging to say the least for non-french speaking
    Last edited by KjellKod; 8th March 2006 at 16:09. Reason: I missed one thing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by KjellKod
    I get the following error message when I try to checkout the latest DevQt
    There is an extra "!" sign in the url. Someone probably misstyped it. Did you try a www access?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The WWW access works (both CVS and SVN) but then you would have to download the files one at a time, right? In that case I rather wait till the error is fixed

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ah! I think I found the error. I believe it is because I am behind a proxy. Apparently the proxy does not approve of REPORT requests. I will try using another port (asking the IT department to change settings of the proxy is futile

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Jikes, now it looks like I am spamming the forum. Sorry Anyhow. I figured that I am probably not the only one with the proxy problem. The solution was simple once I understood the problem.

When you are behind a proxy server that is not passing the WebDAV methods that subversion uses you can work around the problem by using SSL to hide what you're doing from the proxy:

I.e. svn checkout
    https://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/devqt/trunk

7. The following 2 users say thank you to KjellKod for this useful post:

elcuco (9th March 2006), fullmetalcoder (9th March 2006)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by KjellKod
    I can understand how Qt4Ds was missed since I have looked recently for good IDEs on Windows but did not find Qt4Ds (now I used Bloodshed DevC++)

I have tested the Qt4Ds - after seing it on this thread and I think it looks good but it is definitely a Beta release. I still have not tested the latest version of DevQt (since I can't get the svn to checkout and wwwCVS/SVN to get a file at a time is not an option) but at least DevQt can open up my .pro file without problems.

However both do look promising - we'll see who wins the race
    Too bad though that Qt4Ds forum was in French that is discouraging to say the least for non-french speaking
    I second this ... I just tried it out on my Mac and it does look promising, but it seems to have no understanding whatsoever of the Mac application bundle. For example, it attempts to start Qt Designer by simply calling a file called "designer" when that's not how you start a Mac GUI app. You have to type "open" followed by the name of the bundle.

Also, it uses Plastique, even on the Mac. The whole idea of Qt/Mac is that it uses Carbon widgets and looks like a real Mac application. It is not meant to look like a crudely ported X11 app.

Finally, there seems to be no way of changing the font, which in the text editor widget is proportional (Apple system). That is not usual for editing source code: people expect a monospaced font. Whether the same is true on Windows or X11, where I've yet to try it out, I don't know. In their screenshots, the font is the proportional Windows system font, so perhaps they're happy with that.

I'll be glad if this becomes a standard for Qt 4 development because everyone likes an IDE that knows their software, but I cannot use it right now for my project even if it is self-hosting. I'll be sticking to Aquamacs/XEmacs and the command line for the time being.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith
    I second this ... I just tried it out on my Mac and it does look promising, but it seems to have no understanding whatsoever of the Mac application bundle. For example, it attempts to start Qt Designer by simply calling a file called "designer" when that's not how you start a Mac GUI app. You have to type "open" followed by the name of the bundle.
    Thanks for those information!!! I have absolutely no knowledge of the way mac paths and processes works and I guess all members of DevQt team are the same. Thus we would greatly appreciate that a Mac user join us so as to get a really cross-platform IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith
    Finally, there seems to be no way of changing the font, which in the text editor widget is proportional (Apple system). That is not usual for editing source code: people expect a monospaced font. Whether the same is true on Windows or X11, where I've yet to try it out, I don't know. In their screenshots, the font is the proportional Windows system font, so perhaps they're happy with that.
    Not allowing changing font size is damn stupid most of the times default font are quite ugly! BTW, do you like our last version? The settings dialog looks cool doesn't it? (Don't pay attention to compilation, assistant openning and designer running, cause it hasn't been tested on Mac yet... )
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Originally Posted by Matt Smith

Hi,

I really need Mac OS X feedback for my Qt4DS Monkey project, current version is 2006.1.0.0RC2b.
    It will be very friendly if you can help me fixing the mac version by testing the last version.
    You can get it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4ds-monkey

Thanks P@Nox,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ahh ! Pasnox finally came here! Nice to see you!
    Then we are at least two froggies @QtCentre and, what a coincidence, both of us are working on an Qt4 IDE.

Well, back to Mac OS X : there're not any Mac users in the DevQt team so testing on that OS requires some other people to do it and give feedback. BTW we would welcome you in the team so we wont have that kinda problem with platform specific issues.

@Pasnox : admins of QtFr offered me to open a section dedicated to DevQt but I decided noit to do it until the new base is over (yep I have been rewriting nearly everything...). Anyway, in a week or two I'll do it so I suggest you do the same right here (no dedicated section but just open 2-3 threads and I'm sure the admins will make them sticky or open a "Projects" section and move them all there)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: A Question

Quote Originally Posted by ccf_h
    Sorry, if I was missing something, but I'm just wondering.
    The Qt4 IDE at http://frenchbreaker.free.fr/qt4ds/index.php
    compiles fine is GPLed and looks really promising. Why did you feel the need to start a second project with exactly the same rationale? I mean it's perfectly legitimate to do so but, if the aim is to have a nice Qt4 IDE, it seems a bit unpractical (at least to me). Or did you contact the other project and the maintainer was unwilling to accept support and cooperation?
    Well, to be brutally honest, one might ask why "frenchbreaker" is being developed, since it looks nearly identical to Kate, the editor which I use for editing my QT4 projects on Linux?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: A Question

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek
    Well, to be brutally honest, one might ask why "frenchbreaker" is being developed, since it looks nearly identical to Kate, the editor which I use for editing my QT4 projects on Linux?
    Maybe because Kate is not available for Qt4 yet?

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

happy to see you again fullmetaccoder

I will create thread when my official webpage will be avalable, because for now , it's very bad

Why developping Qt4DS Monkey ?! if you post the question, it's because you don't read the readme.txt... so i repeat :

Qt4DS Monkey is a multiplatform Qt 4 IDE, meaning, working the same way on all platforms that Qt 4 support.

Does kate is working on windows ?! no, so when you switch to another OS you need new IDE, new settings, times and times lost !

With Qt4DS, no time lost because it's the same IDE!

It's OK ?!

PS: frenchbreaker is not the IDE name, it's just an old homepage name where i have put in the past my unofficial homepage for the project...

P@sNox,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok, I'm feelin some kind of stupid asking this question, but still can't resist:
    If you are two teams developing essentially the same kind of application why don't you throw your lots together and join forces?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ccf_h
    Ok, I'm feelin some kind of stupid asking this question, but still can't resist:
    If you are two teams developing essentially the same kind of application why don't you throw your lots together and join forces?
    Kinda stupid question needs kinda stupid answer :
    We froggies are kinda stupid as well and we don't like cooperation...

Ok just kidding.
    The point is that we both started aproject for ourself, without knowing someone was working on the same kind of thing. Then there'is the team question : DevQt is completely open to coders who want to get involved in its developpement whereas Qt4DS is kinda "one-man-show" (as was DevQt at the beginning). Moreover each of us has already a project account (DevQt is registered at Berlios and Qt4Ds at sourceforge) which also brings the problem of version control : CVS for Qt4Ds and SVN for DevQt.

Finally the problem lies in the code itself : to say the truth Qt4DS looks nice for the user but for the coder it's horrible! I had a look at it and I looked even more confusing that the original DevQt code ( which was not the clearest code ever... ).

I don't refuse cooperation but I can hardly think of a way to flawlessly merge the two projects...

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

Qt4DS was a kinda "one-man-show", not anymore as some developers join the project.

And as fullmetalcoder says : Joining force was the only thing we would do, but as it says no one know about others project and so, it's nearly impossible now to merge our projects, and starting from nothing in the moment will be a bad idea.

Peraps, It's not impossible that one day, we are working on some standart widgets, project ?! (like QTextEditor etc)

Wait and see.

fullmetalcoder: yes, source is not clean clean, i wait a really stable version 1 (working with no problems) then i will rewrite/review the code.
    I see that it''s what you are doing for now, so what do you think about :
    What don't you continue your current version of DevQt until a stable V1 or something working good, and thinking together about a new project.
    We have a lot of ideas (and feedback help a lot) we can discuse about, it can be positifs points for a really good crossplatform Qt 4 IDE.

I really think that concurrent project (because our one have the same goal, same developpement : Qt 4 library for developping Qt 4 Application) are nothing else time lost.

Tell me what you think, P@sNox

18. The following user says thank you to pasnox for this useful post:

krawek (20th April 2006)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by pasnox
    What don't you continue your current version of DevQt until a stable V1 or something working good, and thinking together about a new project.
    We have a lot of ideas (and feedback help a lot) we can discuse about, it can be positifs points for a really good crossplatform Qt 4 IDE.
    Kinda late!!!

The new base is nearly over (zip archive is on Berlios) and the team agreed that the current version was unmaintainable...

Anyway, if you want to join the team, bringing your experience with you, you'll be welcomed. If you still cling to Qt4DS then we can still cooperate on some common standards (and even some common code) such as project management, editor widget, plugin system(could they be compatible??? would be kinda great deal ) and so on ...

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

I had a look at your source, some minor compile probleme, but not working under GNU/Linux Mandrake ( default lugin can't be found ), when i rename the plugin named libdefault.so to default.so, no messsagebox appear, but i can't do nothing in the ide.
    It's normal ?!

Else source tree and structure are really clean, you make a good job!

P@sNox,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I didn't test it under Linux yet but I'm gonna do it as soon as possible. I don't know how the plugin template is handled under linux but, yes, the default plugin should be named (discarding about the extension) "defaut", not "default" nor "libdefaut"...

If no message box appeared the the plugin as been loaded but what exactly do you mean by :
    i can't do nothing in the ide.

Else source tree and structure are really clean, you make a good job!
    Thanks a lot but :
    • I wasn't alone, a few other coders help me a lot
    • The source isn't clean at all, at least not the way I understand that word. It may compile and run fine but the source itslef is unmaintainable because modules are medled in an ugly way that defy any understanding...

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

By saying "Can't do anything, i mean : can't open project ( opendialog doesn't open ), can't open files, etc etc"

P@sNox