Thread: Debhelper and QT4

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Debhelper and QT4

Hello,

I am totally stuck trying to make a Ubuntu package for a very simple QT4 program, with just a single binary for now (I have a menu file and icon too, but those can wait!). I have no problem compiling and running the program on Ubuntu, but my personal Distro is Fedora, and I have no real clue on making .deb files, so I have been trying to follow tutorials on the web.

The way I would make the program is typical, so I figure these are the only steps required:

qmake-qt4
    make
    sudo cp ../bin/vftools /usr/bin/

Now, I've been looking though the docs on using Debhelper and reading anything I could find on making Ubuntu packages, but I am just totally stuck. The RPM was so easy compared to this! I tried so many different tutorials, but none seem to help me with a QT4 program :-(

The only thing even remotely helpful was something using cmake instead of qmake.. and I quickly got lost there too!

Does anyone have any pointers to a tutorial / sample rules file for a making a Ubuntu package for QT4 program?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Debhelper and QT4

J-P Nurmi

3. The following user says thank you to jpn for this useful post:

December (30th August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Debian packages are a mess, but maybe you can have a look into what I have done in QDevelop (google for it, and you will find in the repository a directory dedicated to the debian package). Again, it's a mess.

5. The following user says thank you to elcuco for this useful post:

December (30th August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I will take a look though CheckInstall, thanks.

Elcuco, I actually though of that before, and did look at your deb package, but it seems you are using cmake?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks both of your for your help.

For now I am using CheckInstall, as I just have a single binary, and I am only making a packake so a few of my friends can help with features etc.. I will study the QDevelop RULES file in more detail when I finally get around to finishing this and making a real package.

Oh, and I use QDevelop on both Windows and OSX (KDevelop on Linux), your software rocks! Thanks loads for that.