Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: HaiQ - IDE for Qt4

Quote Originally Posted by vieraci View Post
    magland,

Congratulations, I've tried nearly all the IDE's and I think this one is the best !

One thing I really like is the class browser, it's a feature IBM's Visualage C++ had and I really missed it. Fantastic !!

Only one problem at the moment, As there is no install option, I made a menu object to start it from the task bar. When started, opening the configuration panel reports qmake and assistant as not found.

If I start it from a command shell, everything shows as found (except dot and astyle which I don't know what they are) This is probably an environment path thing, I'm running debian etch, so I don't know if you can help sort this one out.

Keep up the excellent work
    Thanks very much for your encouragement, Vieraci. I will look into the issues you point out. For now, you can try typing in the entire path to the qmake and assistant in the configuration dialog.

I have an announcement regarding HaiQ:

Besides some header file capitalization issues on Linux, which I will try to fix soon, HaiQ-0.2.9 is a functional and stable entity. I have received quite a bit of positive feedback on the program, and many users have adopted it as their Qt IDE of choice. But the program has outgrown its original design, which was only intended to satisfy a limited purpose... i.e. it's the only Qt IDE that seamlessly treats the .pro file as source code. I am satisfied that it has achieved the original objective, and now looking to the future....

The current HaiQ code base will be discontinued making way for HaiQ-1.0, which will be a plugin based system around a solid HaiQ core foundation. In the current program, Doxygen generation, astyle source formatting, help browser, and other features are built into the program. In HaiQ-1.0, these will be plugins. The core classes will be well-documented, efficient, small, using good programming practices, and lending to extensibility. I look forward to when I am ready to release this code (no date yet), and I hope to attract interest from the very top quality Qt developers when that time comes. HaiQ-0.2.9 is the prototype ... and I think it has demonstrated the feasibility of the overall philosophy, which will be maintained.

Some have asked me, why do we need yet another IDE for Qt? My answer is this... it doesn't matter how many there are... it only matters how good is the best for your particular purpose.

Others have asked what is my objective in writing this program, and releasing it to the public. The very existence of HaiQ relies on the fact that Trolltech has opened its sources for all to benefit. Therefore, there is no possibility for commercialization. If I developed this program only for myself it would not be a tenth as good as it is as a consequence of feedback from forum members, and contributions from the development team. Therefore, releasing the program is a win-win situation... as is the nature of open source. Furthermore, I have no competitors since there is no profits. This is healthy because in the end it leads to good quality code.

JM

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

Any updates ... ?
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by sunil.thaha View Post
    Hi,

Any updates ... ?
    Yes, thanks for asking. We are making progress on HaiQ 1.0, as described in earlier post.

We will not release it until it is stable (and has most of the functionality as version 0.2.9). But if you would like to see the progress check out the svn:
    https://haiq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/haiq

A couple of key advances that are already reflected in svn version:
    * Instantaneous startup (or close to it)
    * Instantaneous code completion
    * Loading of projects and other aspects in separate thread
    * Practically every piece of functionality is an independent plugin

Those interested in aiding with the development can browse (or subscribe to) the development group/mailing list:
    http://groups.google.com/group/haiq

In particular, potential developers may want to check out a brief overview of the HaiQ Plugin System
    Last edited by magland; 26th November 2007 at 19:02.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hi,
    We plan to release HaiQ-1.0 Beta on the 21st of January. If you have some interest, please check out the svn (see the last post), and report any problems that should be resolved before the upcoming release. Thanks very much.
    Jeremy

[Screenshot attached]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The following user says thank you to magland for this useful post:

sunil.thaha (9th January 2008)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I must say this looks like an incredibly nice program, I really like it so far. However, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me. I usually have lots of programs open and the fact that HaiQ has got 2 taskbar "entries" is really confusing. Is there any way to get rid of the "entry" for the command line window (the one that initializes all the plugins & starts up HaiQ)? Other than that: awesome work!

* Edit: Hell, while I'm at it, here's some more requests/bugs:
    - Close current files by middle clicking on their tab (like Firefox does for example)
    - Sort "File System" tab by other things than only file name (file type for example, maybe size as well?)
    - There's a tiny layout bug: at the right side of every panel there's a border of around 5 pixels that shouldn't be there. Hm, looking closer, the "main" programming area has got it on both sides, although it's smaller on the left side (just right of the line numbering)
    - A way to lock the toolbars
    - To be able to drag a file into HaiQ & have it open automatically
    - Find/replace in current selection (it's a bit a pain in the ass if you have to click replace 50 times)

Ok, that's all I could find in 5 minutes of using it .

** Edit 2: Ok, here's another one: if you open a file associated with HaiQ from outside of it, Windows starts a 2nd HaiQ instance. Would it be possible to have only 1 instance of HaiQ open at the same time (just a simple check on startup & passing the command to the already active instance)? Oh, and also: HaiQ doesn't actually open the file. I'm guessing windows is passing it as "<HaiQPath> <filename>", but HaiQ just starts up & sits there.

Aha, and this: replacing with "" (nothing), doesn't work. Neither does replacing with " " (space).

And here's one more request (I just don't stop, do I ): text wrapping in the output panel.

Found another bug (that or I'm stupid and doing something wrong): when you open the "Artistic Style" panel and click preview, the preview is just an empty window.
    Last edited by Darhuuk; 10th January 2008 at 10:39.

7. The following user says thank you to Darhuuk for this useful post:

magland (10th January 2008)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks, Darhuuk... I am adding your entire post to the "to do" list on the HaiQ dev group . We should be able to take care of a number of these requests before the upcoming release.

A lot of people have complained about the console window. It won't be there in the release version, but will always be there in the development version (because I find it useful for debugging). But for the time being, you can remove it yourself using the following steps:
    1. Remove CONFIG = console from haiqcore/haiqcore.pro
    2. Trivially modify haiqcore/main.cpp (so the compiler thinks something has changed)
    3. qmake/make to recompile

Thanks again for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Darhuuk View Post
    I must say this looks like an incredibly nice program, I really like it so far. However, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me. I usually have lots of programs open and the fact that HaiQ has got 2 taskbar "entries" is really confusing. Is there any way to get rid of the "entry" for the command line window (the one that initializes all the plugins & starts up HaiQ)? Other than that: awesome work!

* Edit: Hell, while I'm at it, here's some more requests/bugs:
    - Close current files by middle clicking on their tab (like Firefox does for example)
    - Sort "File System" tab by other things than only file name (file type for example, maybe size as well?)
    - There's a tiny layout bug: at the right side of every panel there's a border of around 5 pixels that shouldn't be there. Hm, looking closer, the "main" programming area has got it on both sides, although it's smaller on the left side (just right of the line numbering)
    - A way to lock the toolbars
    - To be able to drag a file into HaiQ & have it open automatically
    - Find/replace in current selection (it's a bit a pain in the ass if you have to click replace 50 times)

Ok, that's all I could find in 5 minutes of using it .

** Edit 2: Ok, here's another one: if you open a file associated with HaiQ from outside of it, Windows starts a 2nd HaiQ instance. Would it be possible to have only 1 instance of HaiQ open at the same time (just a simple check on startup & passing the command to the already active instance)? Oh, and also: HaiQ doesn't actually open the file. I'm guessing windows is passing it as "<HaiQPath> <filename>", but HaiQ just starts up & sits there.

Aha, and this: replacing with "" (nothing), doesn't work. Neither does replacing with " " (space).

And here's one more request (I just don't stop, do I ): text wrapping in the output panel.

Found another bug (that or I'm stupid and doing something wrong): when you open the "Artistic Style" panel and click preview, the preview is just an empty window.

9. The following user says thank you to magland for this useful post:

Darhuuk (10th January 2008)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Darhuuk View Post
    Hi Darhuuk, Thanks for the feedback.

Could you check this bug again? I have just tried to replace a string with nothing and blank space and i was able to do so.

Which O.S. are you using?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by skoteinos View Post
    Hi Darhuuk, Thanks for the feedback.

Could you check this bug again? I have just tried to replace a string with nothing and blank space and i was able to do so.

Which O.S. are you using?
    I'm using Win XP SP2, but, hm, strange, I just tried again and now it works. There must be a bug there somewhere I guess though, 'cause it definitely didn't work this morning. I'm guessing it might have something to do with which widget has got the focus when the "Replace" button is clicked?

* Edit: Ah no, got it. It's just how the Replace works. I though it was search + replace. It's only replace. So, I got another request . If nothing is currently selected and you press the replace button, can you make it so that the program does a search first and if it finds something selects this. Then a 2nd press would replace the selected characters.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hmm... strange. I will try to mess around to reproduce the bug. I have just tried to replace with "", giving focus to the Find&Replace widget and the TextEditor widget, and both times it worked.

Sadly, it's not an easy to reproduce bug.

Could it be possible that there was no word highlighted in the editor?

*Edit: you edited while i was typing my answer. Well, it's a Replace button, but i suppose that it's possible to consider that possibility.

cheers,

Jose.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Darhuuk,

The replace function has been changed. Now it work as you suggested

14. The following user says thank you to jgvaldecasas for this useful post:

Darhuuk (14th January 2008)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Nice! Thanks! I've been using HaiQ for the past week and I really like it, awesome job guys!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

HaiQ 1.0 Beta has been released!

Whether you use Linux, Windows (mingw), or Windows (msvc), we invite you to try out this ~100% plugin-based application.

Regards,
    HaiQ development team