Thread: how to get executable of a Qt project inorder to run it different machine?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default how to get executable of a Qt project inorder to run it different machine?

I developed a Qt project in my computer(windows OS), now i want to execute this project in my friends machine, that machine doesn't have Qt installed...
    What are the steps i need to proceed, to get executable of my project, which must execute in different machine...?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: how to get executable of a Qt project inorder to run it different machine?

when you try to run your application in the computer that doesnt have Qt you need to include the .DLL`s necessary to execute. If you try to run it you ll recieve error messages telling you what libraries you need to include. Most common are:

1. mingwm10.dll
    2. QtCore4.dll
    3. libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
    4. QtGui4.dll

And if you connect to a database include a folder named sqldrivers with the DLL you use. You`ll find those libs in the Qt SKD folder (where you installled Qt)

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Default Re: how to get executable of a Qt project inorder to run it different machine?

If you need more information. A good search option "Static compile Qt", but since Qt is available to multiple platforms, each platform will be able to compile it himself ..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Read: Deploying Qt Applications and the numerous time this exact question has been asked here.

My recommendation is that you use dynamic libraries unless you <i>must</i> have a static executable. The level of effort involved in producing a static executable, including all your dependencies, is comparable to writing an installer script for NSIS or another similar tool. A wholly static executable is complicated greatly if you use QTHelp, QtWebkit or Phonon which impose LGPL requirements for end-user relinking (even on commercial licence holders).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

... and you can't use plugins with static linking.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    ... and you can't use plugins with static linking.
    true that :P

jajaja

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by KillGabio View Post
    when you try to run your application in the computer that doesnt have Qt you need to include the .DLL`s necessary to execute. If you try to run it you ll recieve error messages telling you what libraries you need to include. Most common are:

1. mingwm10.dll
    2. QtCore4.dll
    3. libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
    4. QtGui4.dll

And if you connect to a database include a folder named sqldrivers with the DLL you use. You`ll find those libs in the Qt SKD folder (where you installled Qt)

Hope it helps!

Thank u i got error message saying....
    "The procedure entry point _Z5qFreePv could not be linked in the dynanic link library QtCore4.dll" !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

Do you use gcc or MSVC? And have you build the executable in release mode?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Lykurg View Post
    Do you use gcc or MSVC? And have you build the executable in release mode?
    I'm using GCC.
    Ya i built the executable in release mode...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

It's likely you took the wrong QtCore4.dll. Take the one under "qt" subdirectory of your QtSDK installation. The same goes for the rest of libraries.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Dependency walker is your friend.
    Just run it on target box and load the executable, it will tell you exacly what's missing.