Thread: change of ownershiip operation not permaitted while build

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default change of ownershiip operation not permaitted while build

i am trying to install Qt4.1.2 on Fc4 but while make it says
    change of ownership opearation not permitted and later also report it couldn't form some syboloic link leading to termination of build

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: change of ownershiip operation not permaitted while build

What commands did you issue? Only "make" or "make install"?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

i am Sorry i didn't gave complete info.
    idownloaded a tar ball from trolltech.com for qt4.1.2.. What i received while extraction ,i am presenting a small part :-

itted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/changes-4.1.2: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/README
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/README: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/INSTALL
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/INSTALL: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/LICENSE.GPL
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/LICENSE.GPL: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/LICENSE.QPL
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/LICENSE.QPL: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/OPENSOURCE-NOTICE.TXT
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/OPENSOURCE-NOTICE.TXT: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/solaris-generic-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../solaris-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-x86_64-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-x86-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-mips-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-ipaq-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../linux-arm-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-generic-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-generic-g++-32/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-cellon-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-arm-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../linux-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/freebsd-generic-g++/qplatformdefs.h: Cannot create symlink to `../../freebsd-g++/qplatformdefs.h': Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/solaris-generic-g++: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    tar: qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2/mkspecs/qws/linux-x86_64-g++: Cannot change ownership to uid 658, gid 593: Operation not permitted
    and This end up in termination after reporting some errors.
    command i tried to extarct was
    "tar -zxvf qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2.tar.gz" .This gives me 99.3 MB of extracted code.

After this i tried for configure which wet well but during 'make' same ownership issue happens and process terminates

regards
    nitin .

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by quickNitin
    command i tried to extarct was
    "tar -zxvf qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.2.tar.gz" .
    It extracts all files without any problems on my system. Check the MD5 hash of that archive with md5sum. It should be:

18bca010d09b98e94210710047baca0a

If it's different, download that file again. If it's correct, then check if you can extract files to the same directory from some other tarball --- there might be something wrong with your system.

This gives me 99.3 MB of extracted code.
    It should be about 124 MB.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Earlier i tried to extract and install Qt on a mounted FAT file system. During extraction it was showing all those errors i posted in earlier post. Now i extracted & did same process on ext3 home partition all extraction went smoothly.
    Are there any issue on extracting *tar.gz file on mounted-fat file system?
    cya
    nitin

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Are there any issue on extracting *tar.gz file on mounted-fat file system?
    FAT it doesn't support hard and soft links (not mentioning the case-sensitive names) --- don't use it.