Thread: automatic coordinate transformation for a data plot in QGraphicsView

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default automatic coordinate transformation for a data plot in QGraphicsView

Dear all,

I'm trying to write a simple QWidget class that draws the data in a QPolygonF (=QVector<QPointF>). What I am trying to do is create a QTransform that holds the appropriate coordinate transformation info to transform from a real cartesian coordinate system to the pixel integer coordinate system. The purpose of this is so that I can use from within my QWidget:
    Qt Code:
    1. QPainter p(this);
    2. p.setWorldTransform( QTransform( /*appropriate values*/ ) );
    3. p.drawLine( /*coordinates in real/double values);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

This should be possible, but my calculated transformation does not work as intended .
    I have tried this with following assumption:
    drawLine converts the parameters by multiplying the values with the matrix, which leads to the (rounded off) integer values used to draw the line in the viewed area.
    Then the resize operation would only require adapting the matrix to the new height and width and repainting the scene.

This does not happen , could someone with more knowledge of QGraphicsview help please. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: automatic coordinate transformation for a data plot in QGraphicsView

Could you prepare a minimal compilable example reproducing the problem?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: automatic coordinate transformation for a data plot in QGraphicsView

Here goes...http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e...eada0a1ae8665a

I would like to be able to plot a cartesian function, like y=x², by using a QPainter::drawLine( QpointF, QPointF ) and having the transformation between real coordinates and integer coordinates take place within the class, fully automatic through the transformation matrix.

The transformation formulas I'm using are:
    x' = x/X
    y' = Y - y/Y

with x' and y' being integer coordinates (with (0,0) being in the topleft corner and the vertical axis downward), x and y being real cartesion coordinates( with (0,0) in the bottomleft corner and the y axis upward), X and Y the integer width and height respectively of the widget (to accommodate resizing and automatic repainting later on).

The code I uploaded doesn't draw a line from the bottom-left corner right and up. When the matrix isn't set (setWorldTransform is commented out), it of course just draws a silly line, but this is not what I'm trying to accomplish.
    Last edited by rubenvb; 26th September 2009 at 15:30.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by rubenvb View Post
    Please use the forum's attachment feature instead of relying on 3rd party sites to link code.

Well... the "test" project doesn't actually reproduce or describe any problem... From your description it seems that you want a non-linear transformation of physical and logical coordinates. A 3x3 matrix transformation will not allow you to do that.
    Last edited by wysota; 26th September 2009 at 23:55.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

My bad, sorry. Here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I can only see an empty window in your project.

BTW. Remember drawLine() takes four integers. If you want to use fraction values, you have to use another variant of drawLine() (like the one that takes a QLineF parameter).