Hi,

Has anybody been able to do remote debugging with Qt Creator ?

I'm using Qt Creator 1.2.1 on Ubuntu 9.04 and I'm trying to debug a program built for QtEmbedded-4.5.1 on a x86 based target running a custom embedded linux, but I'm not getting it to work.

I was able to remotely debug the same application with GDB alone and also with Eclipse, but not with Qt Creator!

Here's what I've done:

1) In the "Tools -> Options..." dialog, I selected the "Debugger / Gdb" panel and configured the "Gdb location" field to point to the GDB suitable for handling my target (i386-linux-uclibc-gdb)

2) In this same panel, leaving the "Gdb start up script" field blank, Qt Creator can't even connect to the gdbserver on the target. So I had to provide a link to the following gdb start-up script:

file ./HelloWorld
target remote 192.168.0.180:1000

3) I started the gdbserver on the target by entering "gdbserver 192.168.0.180:1000 ./HelloWorld -qws" on the target's terminal

4) Then I requested Qt Creator to start debugging with the "Debug -> Start Debugging -> Start and Attach to Remote Application..." menu command. The application run on the target but it didn't stop on the breakpoint set in the first instruction of main(). Qt Creator shows me a "Debugger exited" message in the grey status bar and the "Application Output" panel shows the following error message:

Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.Selected architecture i386:x86-64:intel is not compatible with reported target architecture i386
A handler for the OS ABI "GNU/Linux" is not built into this configuration
of GDB. Attempting to continue with the default i386:x86-64:intel settings.
Selected architecture i386:x86-64:intel is not compatible with reported target architecture i386

Indeed, after issuing the "Debug -> Start Debugging -> Start and Attach to Remote Application..." menu command, the "Start Debugger" dialog appears requesting input for "Host and port" and "Architecture". For the latter, the only option available is "i386:x86-64:intel".

This seems to be the problem, but how can I change this setting ?

Can anybody give me a hint of how to do remote debugging with Qt Creator ?

Rodrigo Tavares
Brazil