As part of a larger project, I’m building a class that is likely to be useful in various Qt projects. So, of course, I’d like to generate Qt-like documentation that will be comfortably accessible in the Help mode of QtCreator. It seems like the answers to these questions should be in a FAQ somewhere, but if they are, I can’t find it.

• I presume the right way to generate Qt-like documentation is to use Doxygen? At least, the documentation comments in Qt source files sure look like Doxygen documentation, and Doxygen can generate *.qch files if you tell it where to find qhelpgenerator.exe.

• Assuming Doxygen is the way to go, are there style sheet and layout files to be found that generate documentation which roughly matches the look of the built-in Qt documentation? I’m not necessarily looking for something indistinguishable from Qt documentation, but the default look of Doxygen documentation is jarring when viewed next to the standard documentation in Qt Creator.

• It would appear that I should be able to link transparently to the built-in Qt documentation, but I can’t figure out what I have to do to make that work. For example, if a parameter to one of my functions is a QString, the word QString in the function definition should link to the Qt documentation page for QString, just as it would in built-in Qt documentation. What little bit of magic must I code to make that happen?

• Assuming I get all that working... is there a straightforward way to add a Doxygen step to the build process, so that generating updated documentation becomes automatic whenever I rebuild?