Thread: Finished my project, how do I distribute it?

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Finished my project, how do I distribute it?

I am really new to QT, so basically I thought it would be something as easy as "File->distribute", but I was reading it was a little harder than that....

I am really lost, I got to this page:
    http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt...t-windows.html

But thats like reading chinese...

Can anybody help me a little bit?

In the internet I found guides but they are from year 2006-2008 so they don't really seem to work...

I am using QT SDK with QT creator...

I would like if you give me a simple guide about this... or a link, or just a tip...

For example it said i should go to qt folder which is in c:qtsdk/destkop/qt/ and to use configure command, but it doesn't work... lol.... I might look really dummy to you, but please help me...

Oh and one more question... will the resources in my program go to a folder after deploying it, or what happens with the files??? And about the files I don't link to a resource but for example to file://c://myfile.txt, will I need to put them in everysingle computer I take the program to in the same location??????

Sorry for the noobienes.. but I'm supposed to present this project in an autorun cd, this afternoon so I need the .exe and I have no idea about how to get it :'(....

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Finished my project, how do I distribute it?

the link contains everything...but "an easy way" would be to run the application in release mode...(you have the debug build and the release build) this will create a folder most likely called: yourapp-build, there you will have your release folder that contains your .exe file to see what .dll you need another easy way is to copy the release folder to another computer and errors will guide you...the files you will need are going to be in the Qt installation path

greetings

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Windows

Apparently it was as easy as setting the build to release and copying some dlls from the qt folder... the program works fine now...
    Last edited by danoc93; 30th January 2012 at 22:07.

Hi,

I am having less success getting my desktop app to work. I tried building to release and through trial and error copied dlls to the same folder as the app. Now I get the error:

Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point _Z17etcetc could not be located in the dynamic link library QtCore4.dll.

The link to the Qt website describes a procedure to recompile qt as static. I try the "command configure -static" but the Qt wants to know what platform and I can't find a list of platforms. Or more precisely I can find a list of platforms, but no codes for the platform to use with the -platform command option. I would expect the option to take some sort of code, eg as Win32 to indicate windows xp 32 bit.

So is there a list of codes to use with the -platform option?

Added after 1 15 minutes:

OK, I found an old tutorial (http://www.digitalfanatics.org/proje...chapter04.html) for qt3 that described how to set the QMAKESPEC environment variable. So I made it past the configure step.

Then I tried to use mingw32-make to relink and it says "No rule specified for target sub-src"

What now?
    Last edited by MClark7; 15th May 2012 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

You don't need to rebuild Qt. It's likely you took the wrong set of libraries. Qt SDK contains two sets of libraries -- one for QtCreator and another for your apps.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

I've tried every QtCore4.dll I can find related to mingw and I get a similar error message every time.

The website link the OP's post says you have to re-compile Qt into static libraries, so I'm not sure why you say I do not.

I'll keep looking. Maybe I'm in the wrong directory when I give the configure command.

Hi again,

OK, so I was wrong and wysota was right. My apologies.

I found this article

Johan Paul blog deploying qt apps

and he didn't mention anything about recompiling libraries as static. He did talk about dependency walker so I went to
    Dependency Walker and downloaded the app.

It showed my app was using dll's from C:\project files\scrivener. Now some of you may know scrivener is novel writing software. Why the heck was my app using dlls from scrivener?

I ran a quick check for viruses and malware. Clean.

I had the QtSDK installed on the D drive and I dimly remembered something from long ago that some apps don't do well unless installed on the c drive. I thought those issues had been resolved long ago, but I was grasping at straws. So I uninstalled and re-installed qtsdk. I also uninstalled scrivener.

The download is a newer version and uses MSVC10 for the desktop apps for windows. I recompiled - had to specify a new build path under projects but it worked. Now dependency walker couldn't find the Qt dlls at all. I figured out I had to manually add the QtSDK lib directory. DW still reported some odd inability to find some obscure dlls (something like IEHIMSS?) but I decided to try the new app with QtCore4 and QtGui dlls. And success!

So
    * the scrivener thing was a red herring, but did cause me to do a fresh install
    * maybe the problem was installing on the d drive
    * maybe the problem was the old install used mingw and the new one uses MSVC10

So thanks to all, and again thanks and sorry to wysota. Sorry I necro'd the thread, google found it and I didn't notice the date.

PS If you are a wannabe writer Scrivener (tried, didn't like) or WriteWayPro (what I use) are both packages that will keep you much more organized than a plain word processor. (I hear the Scrivener for windows version is new and a little buggy, but the original Mac version is much more robust)