Thread: Context menu on QStyledItemDelegate

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Context menu on QStyledItemDelegate

I have a QTableView with custom item delegates defined for some of the columns. One of the columns is of type QDateTime. The delegate for this column is a QDateTimeEdit. I am able to edit the column using this delegate. However, once a date is set on a column, I am unable to go back and clear it. I can only edit it. I understand that this is due to the bug reported here https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-277

I want to be able to clear this column entry using the delegate. I notice that there is a default context menu defined on the delegate with actions like cut, copy, paste, delete.
    As a work around to my problem, I want to customize this delete action. I am unable to figure out where this delete action leads to however, that is what slot it calls. What I would like to know is :
    1. Which slot is called on clicking this delete action
    2. Is it possible to customize this slot without adding a custom context menu
    3. Is there any other way I could clear the QDateTimeEdit widget

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Context menu on QStyledItemDelegate

Quote Originally Posted by sindy View Post
    1. Which slot is called on clicking this delete action
    Here is the slot, called from here.

2. Is it possible to customize this slot without adding a custom context menu
    Possible? I guess, but complicated.

3. Is there any other way I could clear the QDateTimeEdit widget
    Why do you not want to add a custom context menu? One way to do this is to subclass QDateTimeEdit, add a custom context menu with a delete action, and set the year to some year far in the future, say the default maximum 7999. Then in your delegate don't paint anything if the year == 7999.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

There is something called QAbstractSpinBox::specialValueText. You can use it to something like "none" or " ". Then reimplement QAbstractItemDelegate::setModelData() and interpret that special value properly by clearing (or whatever else your usecase needs) the respective data in the model.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks norobro and Wysota

You are right norobro, customizing that slot does look complicated.
    The only reason I did not want to add a custom context menu is because the standard context menu has other actions like cut, copy paste etc which suit my need. I only wanted to customize the delete action.
    But anyway, adding custom context menu seems like the easiest way to do it and thats how I have done it. It works. However, I added the custom context menu on the delegate rather than QDateTimeEdit. Thats because I already have a custom delegate and this way I will not need to subclass QDateTimeEdit.

Wysota,
    I think I could use QAbstractSpinBox::specialValueText. Right now the way I am clearing the model in the delete slot is a little twisted logic and I wasn't really happy with it. Setting specialValueText in the delete slot and letting the setModelData take care of the special value seems like a much better approach.

5. The following user says thank you to sindy for this useful post: