Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Is Qt for us?

Hello!

Glad to be here.

I am the coach of a major GIS project (mapping software). A few years ago we started this project. In order to quickly develop it, we used Embarcadero (Borland) IDE, because it was the one I knew best. This approach has been successful because we have a strong product in record time.

However, Embarcadero has severe limitations, and therefore we are think about changing programming environment.

Specifically we have the following problems:

1) We need to generate products for various platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux). Embarcadero has released Fire Monkey, which generates executables for Windows and Mac, but the way it does does not convince us.

2) We constantly find that we need to use open libraries (boost, Cairo, liblas, etc.) that do not compile or partially compiled in Embarcadero. This is actually the main problem.

So we are looking for a development environment that allows us to evolve smoothly. Of the alternatives, we have the impression that Qt might be the best. I enter this forum to ask you to you, if you are so kind, and give me your opinion on whether Qt is what we need. So below I detail our requirements:

1) Multiplatform Development
    2) Support for Unicode and multi-language
    3) We work with Access mdb using ADO (in Windows), so, is it possible to easily use ADO within Qt? Embarcadero has some great components for it (TADOConnection, TADODataset, etc.) very helpful.
    4) We draw graphics using OpenGL. So far we've draw simple lines, filled polygons, etc, but now we want to draw more complex objects such as thick "stippled" lines with antialiasing, SVG objects, quality text, etc.. We have seen some libraries like Cairo and Skia, but they do not draw directly on OpenGL or cannot be compiled by Embarcadero. I do not know if Qt can help us in this task.
    5) Full support for boost
    6) Powerful development environment that allows creating interfaces with Ribbons, skins and advanced controls.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    Best regards!

José

2. The following user says thank you to jcurru for this useful post: