Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Virtual USB COM port with Qt 4.8

Hello,

I have an Symbol LS1203 barcode reader with USB cable. I need to implement in my program:

- enumerate all ports and find out which is the port where the barcode reader is connected
    - listen to data comming
    - parse data for a valid barcode string

after this i do some basic operations like finding the ID in my database etc..

I don't have access to Qt5, we are still on 4.8 commercial license. I have integrated QExtSerialPort and the enumeratation only lists COM1 port. So that's obviously the physical port. So, i need to download a driver or software from the Symbol product page to emulate virtual RS232.

I'm on windows 7 and the driver for emulation does not work on win 7. End of story ((

So basically, i have no option else then popping out a QDialog with a QLineEdit and using the barcode reading in a keyboard wedge mode: setFocus to QLineEdit and waiting for the string. Something similair is seen in supermarkets/stores, i often see a little window poppping and waiting for the scanned product ID.

I was hoping, to avoid this application modal dialog, and use a library such as QExtSerialPort,..but the fact that i don't know how to make this USB port show as an Virtual Serial Port forces me to use dialogs.

Is there maybe another solution possible to avoid dialogs? I have googled and searched alot these days and haven't find out anything. Maybe, there is a little hack such as, installing the driver on XP and modfify-ing some settings and configs, ...but that's out of my knowledge.

I hope there is. Thanks

2. The following user says thank you to WinterIsComing for this useful post: