Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating a QGraphicsLineItem in a QGraphicsScene

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Rotating a QGraphicsLineItem in a QGraphicsScene

I have been banging my head against a wall for about a week. I would much appreciate any help.

What I am trying to accomplish is the following:

I have a QGraphicsScene to which I have added a MyQGraphicsLineItem (a subclass of QGraphicsLineItem) using setLine(). I wish to be able to click on either end of the line and rotate it while the opposite end automatically becomes the anchor point for rotation.

The relevant code:
    Qt Code:
    1. if(rotating) {
    2. qDebug() << this->pos();
    3. QPointF mouse_offset = p - anchor;
    4. qreal angle = qAtan2(mouse_offset.x(), mouse_offset.y());
    5. qreal new_angle = angle * 180 / M_PI;
    6. QPointF tpoint;
    7. if(mouse_region.rotate_p2) {
    8. new_angle += 180;
    9. tpoint = this->mapToScene(this->line().p1());
    10. } else tpoint = this->mapToScene(this->line().p2());
    11. this->prepareGeometryChange();
    12. this->setTransform(QTransform().translate(tpoint.x(), tpoint.y()).
    13. rotate(-90 - new_angle).
    14. translate(-tpoint.x(), -tpoint.y()));
    15. my_angle = new_angle;
    16. return;
    17. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

This code is contained in the mouseMoveEvent of MyQGraphicsLineItem. p is the current mouse coordinates in scene coordinates. anchor is the scene coordinates of my anchor point (i.e. if I press the mouse while I am over p1, the anchor is set to the scene coordinates of p2).

This code works as expected if my line's p1 is at (0, 0) in scene coordinates. If p1 is not (0, 0) things break.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Rotating a QGraphicsLineItem in a QGraphicsScene

Quote Originally Posted by lxman View Post
    This code works as expected if my line's p1 is at (0, 0) in scene coordinates. If p1 is not (0, 0) things break
    You mean it does not rotate as expected ? My guess would be : the origin of the rotation is not correctly computed.

You might find easier to use QGraphicsRotation (and maybe QGraphicsScale) to achieve what you want to do. Qt 4.6 needed

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Funny thing is that to accomplish this you dont need to rotate anything - note that anchor point of rotation A and mouse position during the move event M designates the new direction for your line L. So, you just need to find a point P, that meets the requirements that there exists a real number t in [0,1] : P = A*t +M*(1-t), which implies |P-A| == |L|
    So the algorithm would be something like (in the mouse move event):
    1. define a line L1 = Line( A, M )
    2. resize L1 to have length of your line L
    3. move the anchor A by vector described by L1 - here you have the "rotated" second point of your initial line L

-----------------------
    alright, maybe my explantion was not clear, so here you have some sample code:
    Qt Code:
    1. void Line::mousePressEvent( QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent * event ){
    2. const QPointF pos = event->pos();
    3. const qreal l1 = QLineF( pos, this->line().p1() ).length();
    4. const qreal l2 = QLineF( pos, this->line().p2() ).length();
    5. const qreal threshold = 3.5;
    6. if( l1 < l2 and l1 < threshold ){
    7. _dragIndex = 1;
    8. } else if ( l2 < l1 and l2 < threshold ){
    9. _dragIndex = 0;
    10. } else{
    11. _dragIndex = -1;
    12. }
    13. event->setAccepted( _dragIndex != -1 );
    14. }
    16. void Line::mouseMoveEvent( QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent * event ){
    17. if( _dragIndex != -1 ){
    18. const QPointF anchor = _dragIndex == 0 ? this->line().p1() : this->line().p2();
    19. QLineF ma = QLineF(anchor,event->pos());
    20. ma.setLength( line().length() );
    21. const QPointF rotated = anchor + QPointF( ma.dx(), ma.dy() );
    22. this->setLine( _dragIndex == 0 ? QLineF(anchor,rotated) : QLineF(rotated,anchor) );
    23. }
    24. }
    26. void Line::mouseReleaseEvent( QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent * event ){
    27. _dragIndex = -1;
    28. QGraphicsLineItem::mouseReleaseEvent(event);
    29. }
    Last edited by stampede; 23rd February 2011 at 11:24. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thank you very much for the replies. It would appear that I have some conceptual barriers to overcome. I will experiment with both sets of solutions. I have come up with a "hack" solution which does work for now. Since QGraphicsLineItem prefers to be rotated in reference to its origin (0, 0), the "top left" corner, what I currently do is, if I click on the end of the line and begin to rotate, the program actually flips the line 180 degrees - then rotation works as expected - from either end of the line.

Your solutions, however, do appear more elegant. I will experiment with them.

Thank you

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede : I was going through your algorithm on QGraphicsLineRotation and I really need it badly :-). the solution looks brilliant. However I have few doubts in wrt your solution. How did you compute the value of threshold to 3.5? whats is the logic behind the value?

My next question is, in the event handler mousePressEvent, wouldn't the length of line l1 be 0, since the event pos and this->line().p1() are the same point. Because the user presses on the line point P1 to initiate the line roatation and it is the same as event point.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

How did you compute the value of threshold to 3.5? whats is the logic behind the value?
    No logic at all Feel free to experiment which value gives you the best "use experience" I think I just set it to 3.5 pixels and it felt ok, so I left it like this.
    My next question is, in the event handler mousePressEvent, wouldn't the length of line l1 be 0, since the event pos and this->line().p1() are the same point. Because the user presses on the line point P1 to initiate the line roatation and it is the same as event point.
    "pos" could be somewhere around P1 - maybe exactly equal to P1 - but whats more important, it is in the radius defined by 'threshold'. In the "mousePressEvent" I just wanted to choose the point closest to clicked pos, but not farther away than "threshold" pixels.

7. The following user says thank you to stampede for this useful post:

jeevan_ravula (10th March 2014)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate your help. I'm new to graphics programming and hence I have some more doubts.

I am aware that QGraphicsItem have their own local corordinates system and QGraphicsScene has it's own coordinate system. Incase of rotation algorithm above, I believe all the points are in QGraphicsLineItem coordinate system. should'nt we finally map the rotated point coordinates to scene coordinates, since we finally display the line on the scene? for example using mapToScene() on rotated point or calling scenePos() on rotated point?

For a Line GraphicsItem where will its origin (0,0) start? what is the origin point for a line graphics item?

Could you also please help me with an algorithm to resize the line by dragging any of its end point. the user should be able to resize the line by clicking and dragging on any of its end points. But the resizing should not happen beyond the scene boundaries.
    Last edited by jeevan_ravula; 10th March 2014 at 19:21.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Yes, in above code, everything happens in local coordinates. But this is also true when item is painted:
    void QGraphicsItem:aint(QPainter * painter, const QStyleOptionGraphicsItem * option, QWidget * widget = 0)

This function, which is usually called by QGraphicsView, paints the contents of an item in local coordinates.
    So you don't need to do any transformations.

Could you also please help me with an algorithm to resize the line by dragging any of its end point.
    Sure, have you tried anything yet ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - I haven't implemented resizing the line item yet. I'll work on it today and see how it goes.

Btw I implemented the rotation algorithm first hand today and it works brilliant!!!. Now I want to handle the corner cases too, for instance if the line item is dropped very close to the bounding rect of the graphicssceen. Now if we intend to rotate the line item, how should it behave?

Should the line stop rotating if it touches the screen boundary? or should the rotating anchor shift such that the rotation is possible? I guess the second thought is too complicated to implement.
    I have a vague idea how to proceed in this regard. my understanding is that, in the QGrpahicsLineItem::mouseMoveEvent() after we calculated the rotated point,
    we need to check if the rotated point lies with in the boundary rect of the graphics screen(convert rotated to screen coordinates by using mapToScreen() ), if yes then proceed to call setLine() on the line item other wise do not proceed to set the line.

Qt Code:
    1. void Line::mouseMoveEvent( QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent * event ){
    2. if( _dragIndex != -1 ){
    3. const QPointF anchor = _dragIndex == 0 ? this->line().p1() : this->line().p2();
    4. QLineF ma = QLineF(anchor,event->pos());
    5. ma.setLength( line().length() );
    6. const QPointF rotated = anchor + QPointF( ma.dx(), ma.dy() );
    7. //Check if the QPointF rotated falls with the bounding rect of the screen, if yes proceed else do not setLine with new coordinates.
    8. this->setLine( _dragIndex == 0 ? QLineF(anchor,rotated) : QLineF(rotated,anchor) );
    9. }
    10. }

Am I thinking on correct lines? I'm not sure if there is a way to check if the QPointF rotated falls with in the bound rect of screen.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - I just added the below code in mouseMoveEvent() just after calculating the rotated point. My scene is 640x480. I guess its working, although I believe its not a good way to do it. I am able to stop the rotation beyond the scene boundaries.

QPointF sceen_point = this->mapToScene(rotated);
    if(sceen_point.x() > 640 || sceen_point.x() < 0 || sceen_point.y() > 480 || sceen_point.y() < 0 )
    {
    return;
    }
    this->setLine( _dragIndex == 0 ? QLineF(anchor,rotated) : QLineF(rotated,anchor) );
    Last edited by jeevan_ravula; 12th March 2014 at 15:11.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Great, but instead of hardcoded values you can use QGraphicsItem::scene method to access scene, and query it's actual size.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - I tried the below code to implement the resizing of line item and it actually took care of line rotation too. I tried to find the possible loop holes during the testing but I am able to rotate the line using both end points and also resize it. I commented the actual line rotation algo and used only the below code to test resize and rotation. I believe both functionalities are working fine unless i failed to test any scenario.

CustomGraphicsLineItem::mouseMoveEvent(QGraphicsSc eneMouseEvent *event)
    {

if((event->scenePos().x() > this->scene()->width()) || (event->scenePos().y() > this->scene()->height()) ||
    (event->scenePos().x() < 0) || (event->scenePos().y() < 0) )
    {
    return;
    }

const QPointF anchor = dragIndex == 0 ? this->line().p1() : this->line().p2();
    this->setLine(dragIndex == 0 ? QLineF(anchor, event->pos()) : QLineF(event->pos(),anchor));

}

The other interesting thing which I observed during the testing of line rotation, I tweaked the original rotation algo provided by you such that for both the anchor points, I called this->setLine(anchor, rotated). I did not use this->setLine(rotated, anchor). While the rotation was successful when P1 was the anchor and P2 received event. The rotation fails miserably if P2 is made anchor, the line basically never gets anchored on P2 and the line keeps shifting if tried rotating.

Question: what is the significance of interchaging QlineF points based on who is the anchor? Why isn't line getting anchored on P2 if we do not draw line with interchaged anchor & rotated points.

Sorry for my lengthy post and constant nagging :-)

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

what is the significance of interchaging QlineF points based on who is the anchor? Why isn't line getting anchored on P2 if we do not draw line with interchaged anchor & rotated points.
    The "anchor" of rotation is simply one of the original points, it is always equal to P1 or P2. It is the one that "stands still" during the rotation, if user clicked on first point, then we should "fix" the second point in place and let him move only P1, and vice versa.
    Maybe in the code it looks a bit like swapping these points, but in fact it is fairly straightforward if you rewrite the algorithm:
    Qt Code:
    1. const bool moveSecond = (_dragIndex == 0);
    2. QPointF anchor;
    3. if (moveSecond)
    4. anchor = line().p1();
    5. else
    6. anchor = line().p2();
    7. // ...
    8. // ...original rotation code
    9. // ...
    10. if (moveSecond)
    11. this->setP2(rotated);
    12. else
    13. this->setP1(rotated);
    If user moves around one point, you have to save the other one. In fact there is no "interchanging", in both cases only one of the points is changed.

15. The following user says thank you to stampede for this useful post:

jeevan_ravula (14th March 2014)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - Thanks a lot.I got little confused but I understand it well now. I kindly request you to guide me in my assignment which I am currently doing. I just need your thoughts if i am proceeding in the correct direction. I need guidance wrt to display of Arrow items( single/bi-directional arrows on the scene).

The summary of my assignment is that - We display a snapshot of a surveillance camera on a graphics scene. A QGraphicsLineItem is dropped onto the scene, the line item can be rotated and resized within the scene boundaries. The motivation behind dropping the line item is that, the line item acts as a division between two areas. We are basically divinding certain area under surveillance into two parts.
    Once the line item is dropped onto the scene, a Arrow item has to appear perpendicular to the dropped line item indicating the direction of restriction of people movement. The Arrow direction indicates the direction of movement under surveillance. initially arrow item appears in one direction, we can click on the arrow item to change the arrow direction to other way round. Basically I should be able to display the arrow item on either side of the line item. I should also be able to display bi-directional arrows.

Inorder to display arrow item, I am referring to the code in Qt projects example called diagram scene
    http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/gra...gramscene.html.
    The arrow item is subclass of graphicslineitem itself. I intend to use the code from paint() method to display the arrow and use QLineF's normalVector() method to display a line perpendicular to the dropped line item on scene. The normal vector line will have arrow as its head. I will then move the normal vector line by certain distance since normal vector shares the same starting point with the actual lie item.

My concern is how to display the arrow item on either side of line item? Can i use QLineF method transform() to display arrow on either side of line item?
    also how do i proceed in case of displaying bi-directional arrows? Please let me know if my approach is fine with arrow item display.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Please let me know if my approach is fine with arrow item display.
    If it works and you are happy with the performance, then I guess it is fine
    I don't really know what advice I could give you, maybe take a piece of paper and draw / calculate everything by hand (thats what I usually do). If it works there, there is high chance that it will work on the computer screen as well

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - Following my discussion with you abt the implementation of Arrow item, I proceeded to implement it. I am able to display the arrow item perpendicular to the dropped QGraphicsLineItem on the scene. The Arrow item used itself is a custom Arrow which is derived from QGraphicsLineItem. The issue I am facing now is that, the Arrow item should not only be perpendicular to the dropped line item but should also intersect the line item at some point. this gives the impression of direction flow from one side to other. Please find the attached images, which shows the way I intend to display the arrows.arrow_display_1.jpgarrow_display2.jpg

since I used normal vector as reference to display the starting point of arrow item (point P1), I am unable to position it in such a way that it intersects the line item. I tried doing it using some random transformation after first moving the Point P1 to middle of parent line item. But the whole thing blows away once I start rotating the line item. The intent is to see that Arrow item remains in the same position and at same angle(90 degrees) when the parent line item starts rotating. Currently the Arrow item remains at 90 degrees but the position gets displaced as we rotate the line item. how do we fix this issue?

Please find my current code below:

QPainterPath CustomGraphicsArrow::shape() const
    {

QPainterPath path = QGraphicsLineItem::shape();
    path.addPolygon(arrowHead);
    return path;
    }

void CustomGraphicsArrow:aint(QPainter *painter, const QStyleOptionGraphicsItem *, QWidget *)
    {

QPen myPen = pen();
    myPen.setColor(myColor);
    qreal arrowSize = 10;
    painter->setPen(myPen);
    painter->setBrush(myColor);

QGraphicsLineItem *parent_line_item = dynamic_cast<QGraphicsLineItem *>(parent_graphics_item);
    QLineF normal_vector_line;

QLineF parent_line;
    if(parent_line_item)
    {

parent_line = parent_line_item->line();
    normal_vector_line = parent_line.normalVector();
    }

QPointF parent_mid_point = parent_line.pointAt(0.5);
    QPointF arrow_line_start_point = this->mapFromParent(parent_mid_point);
    normal_vector_line.setLength(50.0);

setLine(normal_vector_line);
    QLineF arrow_line = line();

QPointF translate_point = QPointF(-5.0, arrow_line_start_point.y());

arrow_line.translate(translate_point);

double angle = ::acos(line().dx() / line().length());
    if (line().dy() >= 0)
    {
    angle = (Pi * 2) - angle;
    }

QPointF arrowP1 = arrow_line.p2() - QPointF(sin(angle + Pi / 3) * arrowSize,
    cos(angle + Pi / 3) * arrowSize);
    QPointF arrowP2 = arrow_line.p2() - QPointF(sin(angle + Pi - Pi / 3) * arrowSize,
    cos(angle + Pi - Pi / 3) * arrowSize);

arrowHead.clear();
    arrowHead << arrowP1 << arrowP2 << arrow_line.p2();
    painter->drawLine(arrow_line);
    painter->drawPolygon(arrowHead);

}

Basically, how do i position an arrow item such that it intersects the dropped line item and when the line item is rotated, the Arrow item maintains its position and angle too?
    Last edited by jeevan_ravula; 17th March 2014 at 19:11.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@Stampede - May be I wasn't very clear in my above mail. What I require is that I should initially be able to set the position of Arrow item such that it intersects the parent line item at 90 degrees. Now when I rotate the parent item, the child Arrow item should maintain its relative position wrt to the parent item. How do I achieve that?

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Now when I rotate the parent item, the child Arrow item should maintain its relative position wrt to the parent item. How do I achieve that?
    Just use normal vector of the "parent" line to calculate "arrow head" points. I can see some trigonometric functions in your code, again I think they are not needed here. You have used normal vector to calculate child line coords, now do the same for the "arrow head" - take normal vector N of the "child" line, scale it, and translate a point near the one end of the line two times.
    Suppose N is the normal vector of the child item, s - scale factor, depends on the arrow size, B - one of the child line end points, the one with the arrow head, and X - a point near B (something like line.pointAt(0.9), again depends on the arrow size). Now you can use points [B, X+s*N, X-s*N] to describe the arrow head polygon. No explicit rotation needed.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - I believe you haven't got the problem I am actually facing. Sorry, i couldn't explain my problem clearly. The parent item i am talking about is the QGraphicsLineItem which I dropped on the QGraphicsScene, the parent line item is able to rotate and resize on the graphics scene. This is the one i created last week and we did discuss rotation/resize on this line.

Now the Arrow item I am referring to is actually the combination of the line item + the arrow head( i used trignometry to create arrow head). I used parent line's normal vector to create a arrow line perpendicular to the parent line. Initially the arrow line's P1 has the same origin(0,0) as the parent item. But then I shifted the arrow line to some random point which is QPointF(-5.0, arrow_line_start_point.y()). The arrow_line_start_point is nothing but parent_line.pointAt(0.5). My requirement is that the arrow item(combination of arrow line + arrow head ) should actually be positioned in such a way that, it should intercept the parent line item. The arrow item once positioned at some point, should maintain its relative position when I rotate the parent graphics line item on scene.
    When ever I rotate the parent line item the arrow item should also rotate along with the parent line item and also should remain perpendicular to the parent item. I have attached the drawing of relationship b/w the parent line and arrow item.

Your were offering a possible exaplantion on creating arrow head to a arrow line which is a normal vector of parent line. My focus is currently more on transformations, when I am rotating the parent item the child arrow item is unable to maintain its relative position. How should i solve this problem?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@stampede - As we keep rotating the parent item, the coordinate system keeps changing. Initially if we fix postion of the child items at one particular position wrt parent item, how do we ensure that the position remains same, during the rotation of parent item?

In the below code, I am initially fixing the position of child item wrt parent item. Now as we rotate the parent item, since the coordinate system is changing the child item is not always in the same postion that it was initially wrt parent item. How do I fix this issue?
    Aren't the following two lines of code sufficient to realize our goal:
    QPointF translate_point = this->mapToParent(QPointF(arrow_line_start_point.x(), arrow_line_start_point.y() + 20));

void CustomGraphicsArrow:aint(QPainter *painter, const QStyleOptionGraphicsItem *, QWidget *)
    {
    QPen myPen = pen();
    myPen.setColor(myColor);
    qreal arrowSize = 10;
    painter->setPen(myPen);
    painter->setBrush(myColor);

QGraphicsLineItem *parent_line_item = dynamic_cast<QGraphicsLineItem *>(parent_graphics_item);
    QLineF normal_vector_line;
    QLineF parent_line;
    if(parent_line_item)
    {
    parent_line = parent_line_item->line();
    normal_vector_line = parent_line.normalVector();
    }

QPointF parent_mid_point = parent_line.pointAt(0.5);

QPointF arrow_line_start_point = this->mapToParent(parent_mid_point);

normal_vector_line.setLength(40.0);
    setLine(normal_vector_line);

QLineF arrow_line = normal_vector_line;

QPointF translate_point = this->mapToParent(QPointF(arrow_line_start_point.x(), arrow_line_start_point.y() + 20));

double angle = ::acos(line().dx() / line().length());
    if (line().dy() >= 0)
    {
    angle = (Pi * 2) - angle;
    }

QPointF arrowP1 = arrow_line.p2() - QPointF(sin(angle + Pi / 3) * arrowSize,
    cos(angle + Pi / 3) * arrowSize);

QPointF arrowP2 = arrow_line.p2() - QPointF(sin(angle + Pi - Pi / 3) * arrowSize,
    cos(angle + Pi - Pi / 3) * arrowSize);

arrowHead.clear();
    arrowHead << arrowP1 << arrowP2 << arrow_line.p2();

painter->drawLine(arrow_line);
    painter->drawPolygon(arrowHead);

}