I develop open source software on Windows with Qt4, and I'm stilling using MS Visual C++ 6.0 as my text editor, simply because it is most stable program I have for managing files and editing code. I convert my project (temporarily) to a MS project so I can get the benefits of syntax completion (internal to my project), class management, search project files, etc. But I always create .pro files by hand, and compile on the command line using qmake/mingw32-make. I don't want the IDE to generate code or modify my .pro file.

I would LOVE to find an alternative to MS and I've been searching for quite a while. QDevelop is unacceptably buggy, Eclipse is too confusing (ten step tutorials don't seem to help), and Monkey Studio didn't work for me (although I can't recall the reason). The most promising I think is Edyuk, and the author is very willing to help -- but unfortunately doesn't seem to have a Windows machine. Edyuk takes a long time to start up, and double clicking a class method does not take you to the appropriate source code line - so I cannot use it at this point.

Now I'm not looking for anything fancy -- I want to edit my .pro files by hand, and I don't need a fancy interface to designer. But it would be great to get something as stable as Visual Studio. For me, something small, simple and transparent would do the trick -- important extras would include - class browser, syntax highlighting, and function completion.

Now, please don't judge me for using Window$ -- I need it for my line of work -- and I do make efforts to make everything I do available for Linux.

My question: Who has a good solution?

Thanks,
JM