Quote Originally Posted by vieraci View Post
magland,

Congratulations, I've tried nearly all the IDE's and I think this one is the best !

One thing I really like is the class browser, it's a feature IBM's Visualage C++ had and I really missed it. Fantastic !!

Only one problem at the moment, As there is no install option, I made a menu object to start it from the task bar. When started, opening the configuration panel reports qmake and assistant as not found.

If I start it from a command shell, everything shows as found (except dot and astyle which I don't know what they are) This is probably an environment path thing, I'm running debian etch, so I don't know if you can help sort this one out.

Keep up the excellent work
Thanks very much for your encouragement, Vieraci. I will look into the issues you point out. For now, you can try typing in the entire path to the qmake and assistant in the configuration dialog.

I have an announcement regarding HaiQ:

Besides some header file capitalization issues on Linux, which I will try to fix soon, HaiQ-0.2.9 is a functional and stable entity. I have received quite a bit of positive feedback on the program, and many users have adopted it as their Qt IDE of choice. But the program has outgrown its original design, which was only intended to satisfy a limited purpose... i.e. it's the only Qt IDE that seamlessly treats the .pro file as source code. I am satisfied that it has achieved the original objective, and now looking to the future....

The current HaiQ code base will be discontinued making way for HaiQ-1.0, which will be a plugin based system around a solid HaiQ core foundation. In the current program, Doxygen generation, astyle source formatting, help browser, and other features are built into the program. In HaiQ-1.0, these will be plugins. The core classes will be well-documented, efficient, small, using good programming practices, and lending to extensibility. I look forward to when I am ready to release this code (no date yet), and I hope to attract interest from the very top quality Qt developers when that time comes. HaiQ-0.2.9 is the prototype ... and I think it has demonstrated the feasibility of the overall philosophy, which will be maintained.

Some have asked me, why do we need yet another IDE for Qt? My answer is this... it doesn't matter how many there are... it only matters how good is the best for your particular purpose.

Others have asked what is my objective in writing this program, and releasing it to the public. The very existence of HaiQ relies on the fact that Trolltech has opened its sources for all to benefit. Therefore, there is no possibility for commercialization. If I developed this program only for myself it would not be a tenth as good as it is as a consequence of feedback from forum members, and contributions from the development team. Therefore, releasing the program is a win-win situation... as is the nature of open source. Furthermore, I have no competitors since there is no profits. This is healthy because in the end it leads to good quality code.

JM