Thread: Transvering project betwen Linux and Windows

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Transvering project betwen Linux and Windows

If I posted in the wrong topic please move my question to appropriate place.

I just bought a second computer and installed Linux on it. Now I want to write and test my projects on it, because it is better machine, but to transfer it to my Windows machine when I need to compile it for Windows. As far as I now I can't compile for Windows on Linux, I have to use computer with Windows system installed. So far what I did was copy all my forms, headers and source code from one machine to another make an empty project then go on include existing files. Then I would compile the code. It is working but I am just wondering is there some better, smarter way, to achieve the same end result. Code developed on Linux and compiled for Windows.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Transvering project betwen Linux and Windows

Why make a new project? Build->Clean All, Build->Run QMake, and then Build->Rebuild All should be sufficient, surely?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

To be perfectly honest I tried that but without clean all and it didn't work. Go figure. I will try again.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by frenk_castle View Post
    I want to write and test my projects on it, because it is better machine, but to transfer it to my Windows machine when I need to compile it for Windows.[...]
    Hi, I faced a very similar problem (the only difference being that I use a dual-boot Linux+Win machine). After looking for a Qt-only solution without enough success, I settled for svn: I do runs of development on one side (usually Linux) and, when ready to test the new feature on Windows, I commit the changes from Linux, switch to Win and update the project.

Once the work under Win is completed, again commit, switch to Linux, update. It sounds much more complicated to say than to do! I suggest you investigate a similar solution.

In my case, I was helped by having both OSses on the same machine, so I could set up a small partition common to both to keep the repository; so all commits / updates are local.

As you have 2 machines, you have to set up a real svn server on one of them (I suggest Linux). Also, be sure to have clients of the same version on both machines; for Windows I am perfectly happy with CollabNet (http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/); on Linux, many distributions come with svn client and server (but check the versions!).

It may take several hours to set up everything but, once done, everything is usually quite fast and slick (and you gain version control for free!).

M.

5. The following user says thank you to miwarre for this useful post:

frenk_castle (22nd November 2009)