Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast serialization/deserialization

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Fast serialization/deserialization

For some reason, my application must create a big hierarchical model on launch and maintain it until it finishes execution. The problem I'm facing is that this model is generated from a set of files which are parsed resulting in a loading longer than 10 seconds which is not very affordable... Thus I thought about serializing the data into a formated plain-text file and reading it on next launches instead of parsing the files again. This brings a performance enhancements but not sufficient IMO (gain : 2-3 seconds). My current approach is to load a full file to memory and to parse line one by one (each of them "generating" a tree node). I thought about two ways to improve performance but I don't know how to apply these concepts :
    1. Change the loading/parsing approach (is sequential reading faster than full reading?)
    2. Allocate memory for all nodes to reduce time wasted in allocations/relocations inside the deserialization loop, the main problem being that this nodes are not of the same type...
    Any hints on how to do this? BTW any other idea that would lead to significant performance enhancement is welcome...
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Fast serialization/deserialization

Well, serializatión and persistence are not trivial. Take a look on:

http://www.s11n.net/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

What about using QDataStream?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    What about using QDataStream?
    I once tried it and also examined it's output (Qt Assistant db's if anyone cares...) and two things came to me :
    • The output seems to be twice as big (reading them in a plain text editor you can see a space between every character... maybe because strings are saved as Unicode instead of local 8 bit...)
    • Is it really faster than QTextStream ???
    Besides I don't ATM use QTextStream for deserialization but only for serialization (which is quite fast). As far as I understood, most of the CPU time is wasted doing memory allocation for nodes and temporary parsing variables (mostly QByteArray and QList<QByteArray>). Thus my question is : how can I reserve an amount of memory to speed up loading? (the tree typically takes around 60Mb...)

Well, serializatión and persistence are not trivial. Take a look on:
    http://www.s11n.net/
    Looks good but I don't feel like adding dependencies... Moreover my problem is not really in I/O but rather in memory management and speed enhancements around it... Ease of use is not my primary focus here. See, I'm ready to use a dirty hack if it does not break portability and shrinks loading under 3-4 seconds...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalcoder View Post
    The output seems to be twice as big (reading them in a plain text editor you can see a space between every character... maybe because strings are saved as Unicode instead of local 8 bit...)
    Then compress all strings and store them as byte arrays.

Is it really faster than QTextStream ???
    No, but it should occupy less space and is platform independent.

Thus my question is : how can I reserve an amount of memory to speed up loading? (the tree typically takes around 60Mb...)
    You can use something which is called "placement new" - first you reserve a pool in memory and then when you call new, the memory doesn't have to be allocated so the constructor is called immediately. And when you free (delete) an object, its memory goes back to the pool.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

You can use something which is called "placement new" - first you reserve a pool in memory and then when you call new, the memory doesn't have to be allocated so the constructor is called immediately. And when you free (delete) an object, its memory goes back to the pool.
    Sounds great but how do I do that???

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

This is pretty clear and proved helpful to me ( see the Placement Syntax section ).
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c05cplr199.htm

regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for your links, they helped me understanding this topic a little better. Yet, my problem isn't solved...

1. I really can't afford placement new syntax
    2. I want my pool to be used by the whole app, including possible plugins...
    I have crafted a decent memory pool (maybe the Troll could consider adding one to Qt to save use such efforts and potential leaks...) and did some test using overloaded global new/delete operators. It seems to go quite fine but how can I make sure that they will be used by plugins? And is there a way to make them replace those used by external libraries such as Qt (I use quite a lot of string manipulation which are way too allocation consuming...)?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't think it would be very smart to do that (I mean to replace all new calls with placement new). Maybe you could explain what you're trying to achieve and we'll find a solution together?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I don't think it would be very smart to do that (I mean to replace all new calls with placement new). Maybe you could explain what you're trying to achieve and we'll find a solution together?
    I don't want to use placement new at all... What I want is to override new/delete calls at application level so that everything goes to a pre-allocated memory pool. If I manage to do this I'll have a significant speed up (pool-managed allocation is 5-10 times faster than "on the fly" allocation). My question was more about the possibility of effectively overriding global memory allocators and a few tests showed that I can achieve what I want (I'm running under Linux). Thus, the next question is on the portability of this method...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't want to use placement new at all... What I want is to override new/delete calls at application level so that everything goes to a pre-allocated memory pool.
    Hmm... isn't it what placement new does?

If I manage to do this I'll have a significant speed up (pool-managed allocation is 5-10 times faster than "on the fly" allocation). My question was more about the possibility of effectively overriding global memory allocators and a few tests showed that I can achieve what I want (I'm running under Linux). Thus, the next question is on the portability of this method...
    Yes, you can achieve that, but the question is - is it worth the effort? You could use the stack as the "allocator" instead of heap as it is much faster (there is no real allocation, the stack is already allocated for the process).Also trying to optimize the algorithm itself might prove simpler to achieve.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Sounds like you just want to override global new?

Qt Code:
    1. void* operator new (size_t size)
    2. {
    3. void *p=my_pool_alloc(size);
    4. if (p==0) // did malloc succeed?
    5. throw std::bad_alloc(); // ANSI/ISO compliant behavior
    6. return p;
    7. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I'm not sure plugins would go to this new though, I imagine operator overrides are resolved at compile time?
    I definitely agree that thousands of small new calls are very bad - has to bug the OS every time for memory, that's awful/adds up.
    But of course, you'll probably run into all sorts of trouble if you ever need to dynamically increase your pool size. I personally would prefer more restricted overrides of new (class-limited) rather than global. Then again, your current needs are probably different.
    Contest deadline? :P
    Software Engineer

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I have a question... What happens if you want to allocate your pool using "new"? What happens when you delete an object? I don't think overriding operator new is enough. You'd have to override delete as well and I don't think you can do that in a reliable way.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I have a question... What happens if you want to allocate your pool using "new"? What happens when you delete an object? I don't think overriding operator new is enough. You'd have to override delete as well and I don't think you can do that in a reliable way.
    1. As long as the global pool is not set the global overridden new/delete operator call malloc/free
    2. I've of course overriden the global delete operator as well and it does work

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I've of course overriden the global delete operator as well and it does work
    Are you sure this is safe? Did you override delete[] and new[] as well? There are many things that seem to work but fail under special conditions.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Are you sure this is safe? Did you override delete[] and new[] as well? There are many things that seem to work but fail under special conditions.
    I'm truing something and until now it seems quite safe. However I know there might be issues, especially with some platforms/compilers which would lead to a different behaviour of operators but I think it is worth trying... We'll see.

And no, I did not override new[] and delete[] because :
    1. I don't use them anywhere
    2. the default implementation call operator new(size_t) passing it n * sizeof(Type_X) so it does not really matter
    Did I do something wrong here?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't use them anywhere
    But you want to force alien code to use your operators as well, so it might be important to override it.

Did I do something wrong here?
    I think you're fine, but it might be worth reimplementing [] operators as well. You never know what different compilers will do. For example allocating using new [] and deleting using delete (without []) crashes Windows applications but not Linux ones, so I suspect there might be some differences here.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

But you want to force alien code to use your operators as well, so it might be important to override it.

I think you're fine, but it might be worth reimplementing [] operators as well. You never know what different compilers will do. For example allocating using new [] and deleting using delete (without []) crashes Windows applications but not Linux ones, so I suspect there might be some differences here.
    Good point.

Everything looked fine until now but unfortunately I'm facing kinda big trouble : my pool is not thread safe and any time threading appears (even in QLibrary for example) I get a segfault in QMutex...

As the docs says, I've tried using a QMutex and a QMutexLocker in alloc() and dealloc() functions but I end up with this :
    QMutex::lock: Deadlock detected in thread -1208572208
    and the app hangs forever (without consuming CPU however)...

Any hint? Or will I be forced to keep poor performances?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Can you dump out which thread/function holds which mutex?
    I would make sure that the alloc/dealloc functions work fine from multiple threads from simple test cases first, before tackling the entire application, in case there are problems with it. Debugging multithreading problems is some of the hardest things to debug.

Then again, if internal Qt things like QLibrary are actually now using your memory allocator, I would not expect everything to work perfectly...
    Software Engineer