Thread: SQL Drivers Distribution

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default SQL Drivers Distribution

Hello guys!
    I'm glad to be back with the Qt community. After a while, I finally got back to Qt development, this time for an open source independent project which I've just released.
    My main concern now is how to distribute SQL drivers, I don't wanna break any license issue, so I'm asking for you all who has done this before.
    My application needs SQL drivers since it is a database migration tool. The thing is, I've done this on Linux where I have all the drivers available and its first version you need to build it from source which implies a Qt development environment which, probably will have the main SQL drivers available but, I'd like to distribute it on Windows format too and the default installer doesn't have the SQL drivers by default. I know I can build them, but I'd like to distribute these drivers (the open source ones only) and I don't know if I am free to do it.
    I assume I am, since the database engines I want are open source too, but I'd like a confirmation or advice or any opinion from you.
    Is there any constraint on distributing these files with the program installer?

Thanx a lot in advance.
    Kandalf
    There's no place like ~

Thanks

Default Re: SQL Drivers Distribution

Hi,

I have no idea about the legal aspects of open source ... but if you weren't able to provide the drivers with a windows installer I suppose no windows user will download your software. Building a driver before so can use the software is not very common :-) If you look at qt-apps.org i guess there are many installers, that include drivers. My conclusion: It is not a problem at all.