Good evening,

I've been wanting to build my own application and wanted to make it cross platform and multi lingual if possible.

A while ago I did I quick evaluation of cross platform libraries and decided upon wxWidgets. I wasn't that keen on Qt because I had heard about the need to write impure C++ that gets run through a processor before the compiler sees it. The use of macros and global variables dissuaded me too.

After getting into the application, and using more and more of the wxWidgets library I'm having serious reservations about it. The wxAui ("Advanced User Interface") library I wanted to make heavy use of seems incomplete and awkward. Purpose of the message is not really to criticise that project but to say I'm going to give Qt a whirl!

Going through the tutorial at the moment. A lot of time seems to be spent on the tutorials which is a really good sign Have downloaded the SDK for Windows and it compiled and ran programs straight away which is a very encouraging! The IDE looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to learning and becoming proficient ASAP.

I was surprised to see the tr() function wrapping a string literal. For internationalisation I would've expected to see an integral value referencing an entry in a string table. I'm keen to see how the i18n works. Can anyone tell me in a nutshell?

My application will be using a number of double-buffered OpenGL windows. I've seen there's a number of OpenGL examples. What essentially needs to be done to make a window drawable with OpenGL?

Thanks,

PUK