Hi all, I've just recently downloaded and attempted to compile the opensource version of qt4.1.3.
The program that I'm trying to install which required qt says it must have thread support, in other words the library libqt-mt.
I'm using SuSe 10.1, which has qt3 installed from an rpm, and there already exists the file libqt-mt.so.3 in my /usr/lib directory. BUT if I write a hello world program and try to link to it using -lqt-mt, ld gives me the error
ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so when searching for -lqt-mt
ld: cannot find -lqt-mt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
so there must be something either wrong with the library, or maybe I have to have a libqt-mt.a, or something.

So here I am, trying to install the latest qt4, hoping that it will fix the problem. qt4 compiles just fine, with no errors, when I do this:
./configure
gmake
gmake install

Now, if I may quote from http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/threads.html, TrollTech's installation guide for enabling multithreading in qt3,

On Mac OS X and Unix, thread support is enabled by adding the -thread option when running the configure script. On Unix platforms where multithreaded programs must be linked in special ways, such as with a special libc, installation will create a separate library, libqt-mt and hence threaded programs must be linked against this library (with -lqt-mt) rather than the standard Qt library.

On both platforms, you should compile with the macro QT_THREAD_SUPPORT defined (e.g. compile with -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT).

However, when I execute the command
./configure -thread
I get as a response
-thread: invalid command-line switch
I have also tried running
./configure
gmake -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
gmake install
but this still does not result in the creation of a libqt-mt.a.

The guide for installing qt4, http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/install-x11.html, makes no mention of threads at all--so I'm guessing they are already included--so then why is there no libqt-mt created? Perhaps that program I'm trying to install (Kompose) must have qt3 not qt4?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me!